Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama’s discourseJanuary 2nd, 2012 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 2 (IANS) Hollywood star Richard Gere is attending a religious discourse on Buddhism by Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama at the 10-day Kalachakra puja in Bihar’s Bodh Gaya, officials said Monday.
An official at a Tibetan monastery said Gere arrived in Bodh Gaya Sunday.
The Dalai Lama Sunday opened the Kalachakra puja, being held for world peace, at Buddhist holy site Bodh Gaya, about 110 km from here.
“Gere was impressed by the spiritual environment when he attended the first day of Kalachakra puja like any ordinary devotee of Dalai Lama,” Lobsang Choedak, media officer of the Kalchakra arrangement committee, told IANS on phone.
“He will be offering prayers, worshipping at the Mahabodhi temple and listening to religious discourses the next few days,” Choedak said.
Choedak said Gere met the Dalai Lama and visited a few places, including the 1,500-year-old Mahabodhi temple — the holiest Buddhist shrine as it was built near the spot where the Buddha attained enlightenment.
Gere, known for his performances in films like “Pretty Woman” and “Runaway Bride”, is considered one of the Dalai Lama’s most high-profile followers.
He regularly visits Dharamsala, the headquarters of the Tibetan government-in-exile in Himachal Pradesh.
- Dalai Lama prays at Bodh Gaya ahead of Kalachakra puja - Dec 31, 2011
- Bihar Police confirm terror threat to Dalai Lama event - Jan 07, 2012
- Dala Lama's security tightened at Bodh Gaya - Jan 07, 2012
- Holy mess: Filth, mismanagement disgusts foreigners at Bodh Gaya event - Jan 08, 2012
- Richard Gere campaigns to turn Bodh Gaya into vegetarian zone - Jan 07, 2010
- McLeodganj deserted as residents leave en masse for Bodh Gaya - Dec 31, 2011
- Dalai Lama begins Bodh Gaya trip - Jan 04, 2010
- High security for Dalai Lama's visit to Bodh Gaya - Jan 03, 2010
- Dalai Lama returns to Dharamsala - Jan 16, 2010
- Go vegan for ritual: Tibetan government-in-exile - Oct 30, 2011
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Democracy is the best system: Dalai Lama - Jan 11, 2012
- Buddhist body loses cool after power cut in Bodh Gaya - Mar 10, 2011
- Preserve Tibetan culture, Karmapa tells Tibetans - Jan 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama to visit Bodh Gaya in January - Nov 20, 2009
Tags: bihar, bodh gaya, buddhist shrine, dalai lama, devotee, hollywood star, lobsang, mahabodhi temple, patna, pretty woman, puja, religious discourse, religious discourses, richard gere, runaway bride, spiritual environment, tibetan government in exile, tibetan monastery, tibetan spiritual leader, world peace