George Harrison was first choice for Monty Python roleDecember 2nd, 2008 - 6:32 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 2 (ANI): A newly unearthed interview with The Beatles has revealed that George Harrison was the original choice for the role of Jesus Christ in Monty Python’’s The Life Of Brian.
The religious comedy classic was written keeping in mind the musician who died in 2001.
The film follows the story of a young Jewish man born in the same era and location as Jesus Christ, who is mistaken for the Messiah.
“They wanted me to play the part of Christ. At the beginning, when he’’s doing the sermon on the Mount. That’’s what they tried to get me to do. But I thought it was a bit too controversial, Contactmusic quoted Harrison as saying in the interview.
The role was subsequently taken by Kenneth Colley.
In fact, when the movie’’s backers pulled out over the controversial subject matter, it was Harrison who funded the project and even did a small cameo in the flick. (ANI)
- Cult hails Indian-origin British economist as a Messiah - Mar 25, 2010
- 'Passion of the Christ' star says playing Jesus wrecked his career - May 02, 2011
- Johnny Depp all set to star in next '21 Jump Street' movie - Apr 27, 2011
- 'The Italian Job': Voted The Best English Film Ever! - Jan 11, 2011
- Russian court bans painting showing Mickey Mouse as Christ - Aug 20, 2011
- Jews not responsible for Jesus' death, says Pope - Mar 03, 2011
- Pawan To Shoot In Jerusalem - Jul 08, 2010
- 'The Italian Job' voted best British film of all time - Jan 10, 2011
- Ringo Starr brushes off Vatican's effort to forgive Beatles - Apr 14, 2010
- Scherzinger to star in 'Jesus Christ Superstar' - May 11, 2012
- Scherzinger to star in 'Jesus Christ Superstar' revival (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Ford to do cameo in 'Blade Runner' sequel? - May 29, 2012
- Johnny Depp''s dream role is to be a Python, says Terry Gilliam - Feb 22, 2009
- Last Supper 'is commemorated a day late' - Apr 17, 2011
- How Philip Pullman's book split Jesus and Christ - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: backers, beatles, cameo, comedy classic, contactmusic, controversial subject matter, first choice, flick, george harrison, jesus christ, jewish man, kenneth colley, messiah, monty python, musician, sermon on the mount