George Clooney ’struck’ by Sudanese resolveOctober 16th, 2010 - 5:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 16 (ANI): George Clooney admits he was inspired by the spirit of the Southern Sudanese people, who were determined to “fight and die” for the freedom to cast their vote.
The Hollywood actor-turned-activist travelled to Sudan as part of his campaign to raise awareness of a potential conflict in the divided African country, amid rising tensions and fears of a north-south war.
And the Oscar-winner was struck by the “resolve” of the Southern Sudanese people in their fight for independence after visiting the troubled region earlier this month (Oct10).
“What struck us the most, struck me the most, was their resolve… Look, these are people that have been truly, you know, they have been captured and they have been sold. And they have been tortured, and they have been raped and murdered. And they believe they have a right for independence now, and that the international community agreed to it. They believe they’re going to have that independence starting on the 9th of January,” the Daily Star quoted Clooney as telling U.S. broadcaster Larry King.
“And to a man, to a person, every single one of them said they’re willing to fight and die for that freedom. And that was the strongest thing we saw…
“They’re like everybody else. They want to raise their children in peace. They want to have a job. They want to go to work. Exactly like everyone else. Many of them have only known war. And that’s a very tough life… They have been through it, through the ringer. And they’re really looking to this as a great moment… There are certainly people that are hardened. But, boy, there’s some amazingly, just beautifully kind people,” he added.
The Southern Sudanese will vote for independence in January (10). (ANI)
- Clooney 'spreads awareness about possible civil war in Africa' - Oct 07, 2010
- UN urges calm in Southern Sudan after preliminary referendum results - Feb 01, 2011
- Actor George Clooney among arrested in Sudan protest - Mar 18, 2012
- South Sudan to get anti-aircraft missiles - May 17, 2012
- George Clooney Stands For A Peaceful Referendum In Sudan - Oct 15, 2010
- UN Security Council calls for 'urgent action' for peaceful, credible referenda in Sudan - Nov 17, 2010
- AU presses Sudan, South Sudan to seal deal by Aug 2 - Jul 15, 2012
- Sudan calls on US to stop 'carrot and stick policy' - Jun 16, 2011
- South Sudan accuses Sudan of launching 'economic war' - Jul 26, 2011
- George Clooney's high-tech plan to stop Sudan civil war - Jan 08, 2011
- Israel to deport South Sudanese - Mar 19, 2012
- Russia's stance on Syria frustrating: Clinton - Mar 01, 2012
- Banning burqa can radicalise UK Muslims, Imran warns Brit PM - Jul 27, 2010
- Brangelina plan midsummer party - Jun 20, 2012
- India welcomes South Sudan referendum - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: activist, broadcaster, conflict, daily star, fears, freedom, george clooney, great moment, hollywood, hollywood actor, larry king, oscar winner, peace, resolve, ringer, single one, southern sudanese, sudan, tensions, vote