Gemma Ward opens up about her relationship with Heath LedgerJanuary 30th, 2011 - 2:09 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 30 (ANI): Supermodel Gemma Ward has opened up about her relationship with late actor Heath Ledger for the first time.
“There was no one like him - and no one will ever be like him,” she said of Heath.
After three years out of the spotlight, Ward will make her international stage debut in March in the Perth Theatre Company’s production of ‘The Ugly One.’
“I’ve taken a break from the media spotlight for the last few years and it was something spurred by Heath’s death,” the Daily Telegraph quoted her as saying.
“[Heath and I] first met in New York and we were both struggling with things that I won’t get into, and we bonded over that.
“I kind of met him at first and said, ‘Listen, my mum’s living with me right now and I’m kind of going
through a hard time and I’m not interested in having a serious relationship with somebody right now’, and he was like, ‘You know, let’s just be there for each other through these hard times we’re both going through’.
“And we developed a relationship and we started seeing each other,” she added.
That was in November 2007 when Ward had just turned 20.
The two then spent Christmas together in their hometown of Perth before returning to New York where the actor died less than a month later.
“I’m just so grateful I got to meet him and get as close as I did with him,” Ward continued.
“The time we spent in Perth was incredible because we were both from Perth and it was also a time when it was beautiful in Perth and both our families were there and we met each other’s families.
“We were able to not be in any kind of a spotlight and not have to be meeting with people or be hounded by press or anything. We lived in a magical kind of world where we weren’t intruded upon.”
Ledger’s devotion to his toddler daughter, Matilda, is something Ward will always remember.
“He was a devoted, devoted father,” she said. “I’ll never forget seeing him with Matilda and the way she looked at him and the way they were together . . . she was his whole life. He loved her so much.” (ANI)
- Gemma Ward speaks on romance with Heath Ledger - Feb 02, 2011
- Heath Ledger has left an irreplaceable hole in my life: Michelle Williams - Jan 14, 2011
- Michelle Williams wants daughter to see 'Brokeback Mountain' - Dec 31, 2010
- Michelle Williams refuses to let daughter star alongside her in movies - Dec 31, 2010
- Is Michelle Williams dating Jason Segel? - Mar 31, 2012
- Michelle Williams won't let daughter watch Oscar - Feb 09, 2012
- Sienna Miller to visit Perth to pay tribute to late pal Heath Ledger - Jan 04, 2011
- Michelle Williams to launch yoga centre - Jan 12, 2011
- Michelle Williams loves short hair - Nov 04, 2011
- Michelle loves hand-stitched costumes - Mar 31, 2011
- Naomi Watts still too upset to watch ex-beau Ledger's final film - Jun 15, 2010
- Sofia Vergara's tattoo bond with Heath Ledger - Apr 06, 2011
- Michelle Williams opens up about her life since Heath Ledger's death - Dec 22, 2010
- Heath Ledger's ex-fiancee on life after his death - Dec 24, 2010
- Ledger responsible for his death, says his dad - Jul 09, 2009
Tags: actor heath, christmas, daily telegraph, devotion, gemma ward, hard time, heath ledger, hometown, international stage, matilda, media spotlight, melbourne, perth theatre company, serious relationship, stage debut, supermodel, toddler daughter