Gemma Atkinson, Dannii Minogue set for Great Wall of China walkathonApril 8th, 2008 - 10:20 pm ICT by admin
London , Apr 8 (ANI): The Great Wall Of China would soon be clouded by stars like Gemma Atkinson and Dannii Minogue, who will be taking part in a 142-mile walkathon along the wall, to raise money for cancer charities.
A host of other celebrities will be joining Atkinson and Minogue, while they take on sand storms and searing temperatures on one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.
The idea of the charity walk, which started on Apr 8, came from Grease bombshell Olivia Newton-John, 59, who is trying to raise 2.5million pounds to build a cancer centre.
Team Britain in the challenge will include celebrities like veteran rocker Sir Cliff Richard, 67, Strictly Come Dancings Anton du Beke, 41, and Eighties punk star Toyah Willcox, 49.
Dannii, whose sister Kylie has battled breast cancer, will arrive at China on Apr 12 and will embark upon a four-day segment of the hike, where shes expected to trek 30 miles in 14 hours despite warnings to prepare for harsh desert dust storms.
I joined the walk as a personal journey to try to understand why cancer is affecting so many people, to raise money to help find a cure, to celebrate the lives of friends and family that have been saved and to reflect on those I have lost, the Daily Star quoted Dannii, as saying.
In fact, the singer is disregarding all the wild condition while she plans to disco dance along the Wall.
She added: Im looking forward to meeting the rest of the crew on the walk, walking with my hero Olivia Newton-John and being totally out of my comfort zone. If anyone can do a disco grapevine through rural China , it will be me.
However, 23-year-old Gemma is all set to trudge on one of the hardest parts of the trek, as shell be walking a whopping 42 miles up a steep mountain incline from Apr 19.
Being a female, I am very aware of how common breast cancer is and I want to do my part to help, Gemma said. (ANI)
- Bollywood actors attend screening of cancer documentary '1 A Minute' - Oct 28, 2010
- 'Grease' hit 'You're The One That I Want' named 'biggest-selling duet of all time' - Jan 03, 2011
- Survivor celebs to join breast cancer film premiere - Sep 01, 2010
- Dannii Minogues secret pain as best friend lost cancer battle - May 06, 2008
- Mcphee to lead charity walk - Nov 10, 2011
- Dannii Minogue to make music again - Nov 27, 2011
- Olivia's 'Physical' voted sexiest song - Jun 25, 2012
- Friends shocked at Jeff Conaway's death - May 31, 2011
- Actor Jeff Conaway dies at 60 - May 28, 2011
- Nancy Brinker's annual salary is $5 million - Feb 07, 2012
- 'Pretty in pink' Liz Hurley helps raise $4m for breast cancer charity - Apr 16, 2011
- Dannii Minogue reveals heartbreak in diaries - Jun 04, 2008
- Prince Harry travels to Arctic ahead of North Pole trek - Mar 29, 2011
- Kylie says she may adopt or use a surrogate mum to have baby - Feb 23, 2011
- Sadie Frost fronting Fashion Targets Breast Cancer 2011 campaign - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: anton du beke, breast cancer, cancer centre, cancer charities, dannii minogue, desert dust, disco dance, dust storms, eighties punk, gemma atkinson, great wall of china, harsh desert, olivia newton john, personal journey, sand storms, sir cliff richard, steep mountain, team britain, toyah willcox, walkathon