Gemma Arterton nearly quit Bond roleMarch 12th, 2010 - 4:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 12 (ANI): Gemma Arterton had almost quit her role as a Bond girl in Quantum Of Solace when a movie executive disparaged her “common” accent.
The star was cast as agent Strawberry Fields in Daniel Craig’s second 007 outing in 2008.
However, she almost walked out when one American film chief warned her that if she carried on talking in her native British accent she would only ever be cast as a maid.
“I said, ‘Hello! I’m playing a Bond girl who works for the British consulate!’ I was so annoyed I nearly walked out… I went through this whole thing of, ‘I’m common compared to all these Oxford graduates. I don’t know anything,’” the Daily Star quoted her as telling GQ magazine.
The actress’ accent almost cost her a role in upcoming blockbuster ‘Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time’ - after director Mike Newell ordered her to lose her twang and speak “posh”.
And now, the 24-year-old beauty is working with a voice coach after moviemaker Stephen Frears advised her to seek professional help during a recent audition.
“I went into this meeting and he went, ‘Oh dear, oh dear. Why do you speak like that?’ And I went, ‘It’s where I’m from.’ He said, ‘Well, you are going to have to sort that out,’” added Arterton. (ANI)
- Want to work with people who don't see me as a piece of ass: Gemma Arterton - Sep 16, 2010
- Gemma Arterton talks about her love scenes with Jake Gyllenhaal - Sep 11, 2010
- Bond girl Gemma Arterton prefers soft looks - Jun 02, 2010
- Everything changed since Bond film: Gemma Arterton (Interview) - May 02, 2010
- 'Tamara Drewe' director didn't know Gemma Arterton - May 19, 2010
- Stephen Frears' Actor Ignorance - Sep 14, 2010
- Gemma Arterton feels "fat" despite being size 8 - May 14, 2010
- Prince of Persia costumes costlier than my house: Gemma Arterton - May 24, 2010
- Arterton avoids using internet - Sep 12, 2011
- Gemma Arterton feels 'Bond' connection gets her more parking tickets! - May 18, 2010
- I was not hot enough to be a Bond girl: Gemma Arterton - Mar 22, 2010
- Gemma Arterton never thought she would get married - Sep 08, 2010
- Gemma Arterton rubbishes culture of pencil thin actors in films - Sep 13, 2010
- Arterton is upset with Hollywood - Sep 16, 2010
- Gemma Arterton's family is her best critic - May 23, 2010
Tags: american film, blockbuster, bond girl, british accent, british consulate, daily star, daniel craig, director mike newell, gemma arterton, mike newell, moviemaker, persia the sands of time, prince of persia, prince of persia the sands of time, sands of time, solace, stephen frears, strawberry fields, twang, voice coach