Gary Sinise funds Arabic version of Seabiscuit for Iraqi kidsMarch 22nd, 2009 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 22 (ANI): Actor Gary Sinise has financed a translated reprint of Seabiscuit: An American Legend, a popular non-fiction book based on horse racing, for kids in Iraq to read.
The Apollo 13 star collaborated with author Laura Hillenbrand to help in bringing out the Arabic version after they found out that kids in Baghdad had become huge fans of her tale of the iconic thoroughbred race horse, Seabiscuit.
“Laura wanted to get it translated to Arabic because one of the colonels was reading the book and the Iraqi kids started asking him about the book, so he contacted her and asked for Arabic translations of the book, the Daily Express quoted Sinise, as saying.
“We made 15,000 copies of Seabiscuit in Arabic and sent it over there,” the 54-year-old added.
The project further inspired the duo to set up Operation Iraqi Children to help kids of Iraq and Afghanistan in obtaining vital school supplies.
He added: “Over the past five years we”ve sent hundreds of thousands of supplies. Next month (Apr09) American Airlines is taking 25 tons of Operation Iraqi Children supplies over to Iraq and distributing stuff to the troops in Afghanistan to give to the kids.” (ANI)
- Sinise funds reprint of Seabiscuits for Iraqi kids - Mar 21, 2009
- US military equipment being moved out of Iraq: Report - Aug 06, 2011
- Iraq to get 40 Boeing planes - Apr 13, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
- Iraqis demand end to American occupation - Apr 10, 2011
- All US troops out of Iraq - Dec 18, 2011
- 'Only 17,000 US soldiers left in Iraq' - Nov 25, 2011
- Gunmen kill tribal leader, woman official in Iraq - Feb 16, 2011
- US military hands over former headquarters to Iraq - Dec 02, 2011
- US condemns Iraq bombings - Mar 21, 2012
- Iraq, UAE to strengthen bilateral ties - Feb 04, 2011
- Racehorses came from Europe, not Arabia - Oct 06, 2010
- Iraqi government donates wheat flour to help flood victims in Pakistan - Dec 13, 2010
- Iraq better off after US withdrawal: Russia - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: american airlines, american legend, apollo 13, arabic translations, arabic version, colonels, daily express, fiction book, gary sinise, horse racing, hundreds of thousands, iraqi kids, laura hillenbrand, london march, non fiction, operation iraqi children, school supplies, seabiscuit, thoroughbred race horse, troops in afghanistan