Gained nine to 10 kg for ‘Shanghai’: Emraan HashmiMay 7th, 2012 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 6 (IANS) Emraan Hashmi, who will be seen as a porn filmmaker in Dibakar Banerjee’s upcoming political thriller “Shanghai”, Sunday said he had gained nine to 10 kg for the role.
This film is all set to release June 8.
Hashmi said he plays the role of a porn filmmaker called Joginder Parmar.
“I play the role of Joginder Parmar. He is a very rooted and real character. He is extremely interesting and you would all love him. It is very different from what I played in ‘Kalyug’,” he said at the music launch here.
Hashmi’s look is very different in the movie.
“There were a lot of look tests after the character sketch was given. Eventually this one emerged. I had to put on weight for this character. I had to go two shades darker. In the morning, we used to prepare for this, before the shoot.”
“I had to even work on my teeth and put things on it to get the look. I dont know how many actors would want to look grotesque on screen. When Dibankar told me, he thought I would say no, but I didn’t. I think its a great opportunity,” he added.
“I gained nine-10 kilos. I had to start changing my diet and eat only fast food and pasta on the set.”
The cast includes Abhay Deol, Kalki Koechlin and Bengali actor Prosenjit Chatterjee.
Talking about the film, Hashmi said: “Its a very normal film. Its relevant and the story is very interesting. I am sure this film will be a landmark film for us. Its an interesting film. We have maintained a commercial outlook with the music of this film.”
After back to back hits like “Jannat 2″ and “Murder 2″, Hashmi seems to be one of the biggest stars of Bollywood today.
Asked whom he wants to dedicate this success to, he said: “I have always said that when a film does well, its because of the team. The entire team contributes to it. It is a synergy of talent. Even if ‘Shanghai’ works, its a team effort. A lot of work goes into a film and its a lot of departments who work together.”
- Shekhar Kapur inspired Prosenjit's look in 'Shanghai' - Apr 20, 2012
- No actor should trust director blindly: Dibakar Banerjee - May 11, 2012
- I want riskier films: Emraan Hashmi - May 09, 2012
- 'Shanghai' bridges dreams and reality: Dibakar Banerjee (Interview) - May 13, 2012
- 'Shanghai' to be premiered at IIFA - May 06, 2012
- Emraan ups his fees, says it won't burden filmmakers - Apr 12, 2012
- It's hard to keep up good work in Bollywood: Kalki Koechlin (Interview) - May 16, 2012
- Emraan open to item songs, says he'll do it differently - Jun 12, 2012
- Never planned 'Shanghai' to be blockbuster: Banerjee - Jun 12, 2012
- Both commercial, serious films important for me: Emraan Hashmi - Sep 09, 2012
- 'Shanghai' best film, Dibakar best director: Kashyap - Jun 01, 2012
- I've faced many insults: Dibakar Bannerjee - Jun 24, 2012
- A slice of today's India, Dibakar's 'Shanghai' must watch (IANS Movie Review - Rating: *** 1/2) - Jun 08, 2012
- 'Shanghai' gets mixed response at box office - Jun 10, 2012
- Will Emraan Hashmi Star In A Porn Movie? - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: abhay deol, banerjee, bengali, character sketch, commercial outlook, emraan hashmi, entire team, fast food, filmmaker, jannat, joginder, kalki, koechlin, landmark film, mumbai, music launch, political thriller, shanghai, synergy, team effort