Funeral of veteran journalist George Joseph attended by hundredsFebruary 29th, 2012 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kanjirapally (Kerala), Feb 29 (IANS) Hundreds of people from all walks of life turned up for the funeral ceremony of George Joseph, veteran journalist and political editor of IANS, at his home town here Wednesday afternoon.
Joseph, 57, died early Monday morning in New Delhi following cardiac arrest.
The body was brought from Delhi Tuesday and was kept at his brother’s home here, since Tuesday evening, for people to pay their last respects.
The funeral service Wednesday was performed by more than 25 Catholic priests at his home parish St. Dominic Cathedral. Among those who came to pay their last respects were leading political leaders cutting across political affiliations and representatives of numerous media organisations.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony spoke to Joseph’s wife, Aasha Khosa, a TV journalist, and condoled the death of her husband.
“Not many here knew that Joseph was so popular across the country because of his writings. Many here came to know of his popularity when we saw the numerous condolences, including by the chief minister. The news of his death was published in all leading newspapers in the state,” his elder brother V.J. Thomas told IANS.
“He left this place soon after his college education and went to Delhi and worked in a few media organisations. Once he came home after a nine year gap, but he used to write to us. His letters were brief but it conveyed everything,” said another brother.
- Senior journalist George Joseph passes away (Second Lead) (With Images) - Feb 27, 2012
- Senior journalist George Joseph is dead (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Senior journalist George Joseph is dead - Feb 27, 2012
- George Joseph remembered as a daring journalist - Mar 15, 2012
- PM condoles P.C. Alexander's death - Aug 10, 2011
- Farmer leader Tikait dies (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- George had excelled as journalist: Congress says in tribute - Feb 27, 2012
- Thousands attend last rites of K.M. Mathew - Aug 02, 2010
- Rajesh Khanna, Bollywood's first superstar, no more (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sea of humanity pays respects to Deshmukh, funeral in evening (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Deshmukh dies in Chennai, mourned by leaders, Bollywood (Roundup) - Aug 14, 2012
- Media mogul K.M. Mathew dies, thousands pay respects (Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- Deshmukh dies in Chennai, mourned by leaders, Bollywood (Second Intro Roundup) - Aug 15, 2012
- Houston's mother, daughter lead mourners - Feb 18, 2012
- Ambika Soni condoles death of senior journalist Alok Tomar - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: aasha, cardiac arrest, catholic priests, chief minister, college education, condolences, defence minister, early monday morning, elder brother, feb 29, funeral ceremony, j thomas, last respects, political affiliations, political leaders, st dominic, tv journalist, veteran journalist, walks of life, wednesday afternoon