Friends forced Sigourney Weaver into actingJuly 3rd, 2008 - 1:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 3 (IANS) Actress Sigourney Weaver reveals that her friends had to force her into acting because she was too self-conscious growing up. Contactmusic.com reports that the 58-year-old was hesitant to become an actress till her friends made her realise that she was talented. She then decided to overcome her shyness and give it a shot.
She said: “I was very shy, very self-conscious. I didn’t even decide to be an actress until my friends kept hiring me in New York. I kind of backed into it.”
She added that she has worked with other actors who went through the same situation saying, “It’s funny how many late-bloomers there are in our business. Whether through shyness or what have you, we hold back and then suddenly boom!”
Weaver also talked about how she was offered membership of an exclusive club in Africa. The actress, who starred in the hit movie “Gorillas in the Mist”, got this membership because she survived a gorilla attack.
In 1988, Weaver was shooting a documentary about gorilla poaching when an ape charged her. She survived and later she found out that very few people survive a gorilla attack.
The ordeal still haunts her and she said: “I was charged by a silverback (gorilla) - he was in a bad mood. We should’ve known that. Usually he didn’t pay any attention to me. He was about 450 pounds. And all of a sudden he got up, he beat his chest, he came roaring right up the hill toward me… and he knocked me down.
“I crawled away through the bush and ran into someone from the research centre who said, `You’ve just joined a very exclusive club. You’ve just been hit by a silverback gorilla.’”
- Knightley hates her bad skin - Mar 17, 2012
- Carey Mulligan hates revealing clothes - Oct 20, 2010
- Gorilla duo dismantles poachers' trap - Jul 20, 2012
- I found pole-dancing and striptease completely liberating, says Emilia Fox - Nov 08, 2010
- I've had enough, says Ranbir on link-up rumours - Mar 27, 2011
- Aamir's choice of films makes Kamal Haasan happy - Jan 01, 2012
- I never really set out to be a film actress, says Carey Mulligan - Jan 15, 2011
- Weaver enjoyed Polanski link-up rumours - Feb 09, 2011
- Vanessa Hudgens hated her 'tree-trunk legs' - Mar 16, 2011
- Daniel Radcliffe receives rave reviews for his musical debut on Broadway - Mar 29, 2011
- I was a rule follower at school: Kristen - Oct 09, 2011
- Indian craft dying slowly, consumers wake up: Designer - Oct 13, 2011
- Mulligan set to return to theatre - Jan 14, 2011
- Marriage talk hampers Geeta Basra's career! - Dec 06, 2011
- Pauline Quirke's weighty confession - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: acting, actors, actress sigourney, africa, bad mood, boom, bush, documentary, gorilla attack, gorillas in the mist, late bloomers, london, movie gorillas in the mist, ordeal, shyness, sigourney weaver, silverback gorilla