Fresh trouble brews in Malayalam film industryApril 18th, 2009 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, April 18 (IANS) In a sign of fresh trouble for the Malayalam film industry, nearly 300 members of a technician’s body disrupted a film shoot in Palakkad in Kerala protesting the attitude of leading stars Mammootty and Dileep.
Members of Federation of Malayalam Cine Technicians Association (MACTA) disrupted the shooting of “Bodyguard”, which stars Dileep, and had a scuffle with crew members leading to the police stopping the shoot.
Trouble first broke out early last year when Dileep refused to act in a film by Thulasidas, following a string of flops by the director. The dispute remains unresolved and the MACTA has accused both Mammotty and Dileep of trying to scuttle the future of the body.
Last year MACTA, comprising 19 different associations of the Malayalam film industry, split with the big names in the industry floating Film Employees Federation of Kerala (FEFKA).
While MACTA is being led by director Vinayan and has a huge membership base, the FEFKA includes most of the big time directors like Joshi, I.V. Sasi, Siddique, Lal, Sathyan Anthicad, Renjith, Renji Panicker.
While FEFKA has the full blessings of the most influential Malayalam film body Association of Malayalam Movie Artistes (AMMA), the MACTA is now affiliated with the Communist Party of India.
Meanwhile, Thulasidas said that a protest of this nature was not acceptable.
“A protest in a shooting location is not acceptable because it really would hamper the work of actors and the director. They have to work in a totally stress-free atmosphere. This is not good,” Thulasidas told reporters here.
- Protests over Malayalam film industry row continues - Apr 19, 2009
- Malayalam film industry deadlocked by trade unions - Apr 21, 2009
- Stand-off between rival Malayalam film bodies continues - May 01, 2009
- Malayalam film body threatens to go on strike - Apr 29, 2009
- Blast leads to squabble in Malayalam film Industry - May 11, 2010
- Blast at Malayalam film shoot sparks fresh row - May 10, 2010
- Director Vinayan slams Malayalam superstars - Aug 22, 2010
- Malayalam Actor Thilakan To Be Honored With Bharat Gopi - Jun 10, 2010
- Thilakan protests, Malayalam film body demands apology (Lead) - Feb 10, 2010
- Malayalam film industry organisation supports Thilakan - Feb 02, 2010
- Kerala minister steps in to resolve film industry row - May 01, 2010
- Thilakan protests, Malayalam film body toughens stance - Feb 09, 2010
- 30 directors quit Malayalam film body - Jun 07, 2008
- Tamil film lobby in court for fund raising - Nov 10, 2008
- Malayalam film body has lost importance, say industry members - Aug 27, 2008
Tags: communist party of india, crew members, employees federation, film industry, free atmosphere, joshi, lal, macta, mammootty, mammotty, membership base, palakkad, panicker, renji, renjith, sasi, sathyan, siddique, technicians association, time directors