Freedom for Juhi Chawla’s uncleApril 14th, 2009 - 1:11 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
Pakistani film producer and distributor Satish Anand who also happens to be an uncle of Bollywood actress Juhi Chawla, was freed by his Pakistani abductors after six months in captivity.
According to media reports the ransom amount was Rs.10.6 million. He’s said to have been shifted to Islamabad.
Anand, who had served as Pakistan’s censor board chairman, was kidnapped Oct 20 last year by two unidentified gunmen while he was on his way home.
According to The News, law enforcement agencies traced the kidnappers to Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province (NWFP) and engaged in a negotiation for his release. They reportedly belong to a faction of the Harkat-ul-Jihad-i-Islami (HuJI), in NWFP’s Bannu region, the report said. The HuJI group is reportedly headed by Ilyas Kashmiri, had earlier demanded a huge ransom for releasing Anand. However they later settled for Rs.10.6 million.
On Saturday, officials posing as family members of the film producer delivered the ransom money to the kidnappers. After safely securing Anand, the officials launched a crackdown on the group and arrested five suspects. -Sampurn Media
- Juhi Chawla's uncle freed in Pakistan after six months - Apr 12, 2009
- Ilyas Kashmiri killed in US drone strike, HuJi confirms death - Jun 04, 2011
- Al Qaeda commander Ilyas Kashmiri is alive: Dawn - Jul 16, 2011
- UN, US designate HuJI as terrorist organisation - Aug 07, 2010
- Don't give data on us to India, Pakistan warned - Jul 10, 2011
- Headley worked with FBI for capture of Mumbai mastermind - Jun 01, 2011
- Pakistan asks India to rectify 'Most Wanted' list - May 30, 2011
- Six terrorists get life term for plot to kidnap Sachin - Jan 15, 2011
- HuJi link to Delhi attack on Israelis? - Feb 21, 2012
- Pakistan's Harkat-ul-Jihad Islami declared terror group (Lead) - Aug 07, 2010
- US seeks answers from Pakistan on Mumbai attack - May 17, 2011
- US declines to confirm Ilyas Kashmiri's killing - Jun 07, 2011
- Plot to abduct Sachin: Eight-year jail terms for six (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- India needs comprehensive plan to fight terror: Pakistani daily - Sep 09, 2011
- Plot to kidnap Sachin: Six terrorists get life term (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: abductors, anand, bannu, board chairman, captivity, crackdown, faction, film producer, frontier province, harkat ul, huji, juhi chawla, kashmiri, kidnappers, law enforcement agencies, north west frontier, nwfp, pakistani film, ransom money, unidentified gunmen