Frankie Avalon Sings Venus On American IdolApril 9th, 2009 - 8:29 pm ICT by GD
Frankie Avalon was hot property around the time when Simon Cowell was born in 1959. American Idol brought back the classical singer who was a hot favorite in the 1950s to the show as a mark of respect to the great pop idol of the yesteryears.
Frankie Avalon looked younger than his years and very well groomed for his appearance on the American Idol on Wednesday night and sang his hit number Venus live.
Frankie Avalon was a singer and an actor and was voted a teen idol in the 1950s. He reigned as a top popular icon in his times and actually went on to give a platform to rock and roll among American music lovers. Of his seven Top Ten hits, the most famous ones are Venus and Why, both released in 1959.
The week’s theme was songs brought in from the year of the contestants’ birth. Ryan Seacrest showed s clip of the number one song of 1959, Venus, that coincided with the year of Simon Cowell’s birth and then the video screen went up to reveal Frankie Avalon who got on the stage to sing the hit single himself.
But the night of surprises did not end with Avalon’s performance of Venus. Scott McIntyre, the first visually challenged contestant on the show got the boot with a bland song selection. Judges appeared sorry to be sending him home. Lil Round failed yet again, for the third time in as many weeks to impress the judges with her selection of songs.
- Cheryl Cole turns down offer of Britain's Got Talent - Sep 21, 2011
- Is Kim Cattrall going to find a spot on BGT? - Dec 09, 2011
- Tyler landed 'American Idol' job because of Dioguardi - Apr 28, 2011
- Beyonce offered $500 mn to judge 'The X Factor' - Feb 03, 2012
- ''Britain's Got Talent'' To Bring In Guest Judges - Dec 24, 2010
- Britain's Got Talent to feature guest judges - Dec 23, 2010
- Ryan Seacrest as the most powerful man on Reality TV - Apr 07, 2011
- Cheryl offered 10mn pounds for 'American Idol'? - May 25, 2012
- 'American Idol' Season 10, Day 1 Review: Change Of Judges - Jan 20, 2011
- Online MySpace auditions on for American Idol - Sep 17, 2010
- Ryan Seacrest Says J-Lo Will Be 'Idol's' New "Mean Judge" - Jan 07, 2011
- Is Paula Abdul going to join US X Factor? - Apr 25, 2011
- Kris Allen Speaks About "American Idol" Premiere On January 19 And Its Judges - Jan 20, 2011
- Dick Clark Honored At Daytime Emmys 2010 - Jun 28, 2010
- American Idol Finale Week: Simon's Final Judgment - May 26, 2010
Tags: 1950s, american idol, american music, appearance, classical singer, frankie avalon, hot property, music lovers, pop idol, ryan seacrest, scott mcintyre, simon cowell, song selection, surprises, teen idol, third time, top ten hits, video screen, wednesday night, yesteryears