Fractures under snow may be underlying cause of deadly avalanchesJuly 11th, 2008 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
Edinburgh, July 11 (ANI): Researchers at a Scots university have determined that fractures under the surface of snow may be the underlying cause of the kind of avalanches most commonly triggered by skiers.
According to a report in The Scotsman, it had been previously believed that slab avalanches were created by shear cracks in the surface of snow, which allowed large slabs of it to slide down mountainsides.
However, scientists from the University of Edinburgh have now suggested the main reason is fractures under the surface known as anti-cracks which make a layer of snow crumble inwardly like a house of cards, causing the upper layers to slide off.
According to Joachim Heierli, of the universitys Centre for Materials Science and Engineering, Our discoveries complete a piece of the puzzle of how avalanches occur. We hope this will help to pinpoint dangerous telltale signs and so avoid unnecessary dangers on mountains. (ANI)
- Gurez avalanche: Death toll rises to three - Mar 21, 2012
- Dutch prince hospitalised after Austrian avalanche - Feb 18, 2012
- Avalanche warning for Kashmir's Gurez town - Mar 05, 2012
- Siachen avalanche: Two more bodies found - Jun 05, 2012
- Come, ski down Himachal's grassy slopes (Lifestyle Feature) (With Images) - Jun 24, 2012
- Three killed in Italy's avalanches - Feb 21, 2010
- Jupiter's moon Europa has a shallow lake - Nov 17, 2011
- Dutch Prince Friso buried by avalanche in Austria, in critical condition - Feb 17, 2012
- Now, ultra-hard graphite that can crack diamonds! - Nov 07, 2010
- Kashmir avalanche: Rescue operations over (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Avalanche warning issued for Kashmir's higher reaches - Feb 20, 2012
- Bodies of soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche recovered - Jul 09, 2012
- New technology to trace buried avalanche victim swiftly - Dec 10, 2009
- Hope fading fast for Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Rescue work on for missing Siachen avalanche victims' - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: cracks, deadly avalanches, discoveries, fractures, house of cards, joachim, materials science, mountains, piece of the puzzle, scientists, scots, scotsman, skiers, slab avalanches, slabs, telltale signs, university of edinburgh, upper layers