Fourth flop in a row for Saif Ali KhanJune 5th, 2009 - 10:21 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Joginder Tuteja
Believe it or not but in his only release of the year so far, Saif Ali Khan has delivered a box office disaster. Incidentally this is his fourth box office failure in a row over last 12 months, what with ROADSIDE ROMEO (where he did the voiceover), THODA PYAAR THODA MAGIC and TASHAN being mighty flops in themselves.
Ok, so let’s reveal the suspense. This film in question is SANAM TERI KASAM, an age old project featuring Saif Ali Khan in lead along with Saif Ali Khan, which was revived a few days back and has expectedly went completely unnoticed. In fact majority of cast and crew members of the film were not even aware that SANAM TERI KASAM, which was earlier known as YEH PYAAR HI TO HAI, had even released on 22nd May 2009 at a mere 15 cinemas.
Collections have been downright pathetic for this stuck-in-the-cans film with a mere 4 lakhs coming from these 15 cinemas. In fact the film’s release was akin to some of the old films like YEH LAMHE JUDAAI KE (starring Shah Rukh Khan), MUJHE MERI BIWI SE BACHAO (Akshay Kumar) and YAAR MERI ZINDAGI (Amitabh Bachchan) amongst many others which released decades after being made, arrived without fanfare and went back into cold storage without even completing a single weekend at the box office.
An ULTRA film directed by Lawerence D’Souza (of SAAJAN fame), SANAM TERI KASAM was ready since the mid-90s. Incidentally, when the promos of the film were first released, two of its tracks had turned out to be big hits too. Tuned by Nadeem Shravan who had returned with Lawerence D’Souza once again after SAAJAN, these songs were ‘Ye Pyaar Hi To Hai’ and ‘Ek Baar Ek Baar Pyaar Se To Bol’.
Finally, after a wait of a decade and a half, SANAM TERI KASAM managed to make it to theaters courtesy the producers’ strike due to which theaters were willing to screen any and every movie that was made available to them. With SANAM TERI KASAM not finding any takers in spite of Saif Ali Khan’s name being associated with the project, it won’t be hard to presume that producers as well as multiplexes would keep themselves miles away from reviving such dated films in future. -Sampurn Media
- Embarrassment coming Saif Ali Khan's way? - May 20, 2009
- Pre-wedding bash for Riteish and Genelia - Jan 25, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna's evergreen songs - Jul 18, 2012
- Our marriage not behind 'Tere Naal...' success: Riteish - Mar 03, 2012
- No engagement plans, says Kareena - Feb 07, 2012
- Saif an incredible actor: Priyanka Chopra - Mar 23, 2012
- Popular Hindi songs, now titles of TV shows - Jan 04, 2012
- Tigers can't make excuses of being unwell: Salman Khan (Interview) - Aug 21, 2012
- First single of 'Tere Naal..' released on iTunes - Dec 01, 2011
- Akshay believes in love, not violence (Movie Snippets) - Mar 28, 2012
- Riteish, Genelia excited to team up after seven years - Jul 25, 2011
- No free time for Riteish, Genelia until March - Feb 12, 2012
- Genilia wants to shed bubbly girl image - Sep 26, 2011
- T-Series Obtains Audio Rights - Aug 25, 2010
- Genelia says wedding preparations on in full swing - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: akshay kumar, amitabh bachchan, baar, cast and crew, cold storage, crew members, ek, fanfare, joginder, lakhs, mid 90s, old films, saif ali khan, shah rukh khan, shravan, souza, tashan, teri kasam, voiceover, yeh lamhe judaai ke