Four lawyers held for attack on Bangalore journalists (Lead)March 4th, 2012 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 3 (IANS) Four lawyers were arrested late Saturday for their suspected involvement in a violent attack the day before on journalists and policemen at the city civil court complex, police said.
“We have so far arrested four advocates under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for their suspected involvement in the violent incidents at the court complex Friday in which several journalists and policemen were attacked, vehicles were damaged and media equipment was destroyed,” Bangalore Police Commissioner B.G. Jyothiprakash Mirji told reporters here.
The arrested lawyers are A.P. Ranganath, Somesh, Arun Naik and Santosh. Ranganath is general secretary of the Advocates Association of Bangalore.
The accused were presented before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Manjunath for remand.
“We have registered 31 cases against 25 advocates and others, some more arrests are likely soon. A special team has been formed to investigate the violent incidents in which 57 policemen, a dozen journalists, cameramen of news channels and photographers were injured,” Mirji said.
“We will arrest all those suspected to have attacked media persons and policemen on duty. There is no pressure on us to spare anyone as we have taken serious view of the incidents to prevent such recurrence to maintain peace and law and order,” Mirji said.
The attack took place when about 100 media persons were present at the court complex to cover the appearance of tainted former state minister and mining baron G. Janardhana Reddy in a court for his alleged involvement in the multi-crore rupee mining scam in the state.
- Four lawyers arrested for attack on media - Mar 03, 2012
- Lawyers assault media persons, judicial probe ordered (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Karnataka lawyers to boycott courts Monday - Mar 04, 2012
- Bangalore lawyers assault mediapersons - Mar 02, 2012
- Lawyers assault media persons, students in Bangalore (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- 11 terror suspects held, 'catastrophe' averted: Karnataka Police (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Karnataka officer's murder case solved, four held: Police - Jun 07, 2012
- 11 terror suspects held, catastrophe averted (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Warring media, lawyers told to cool down - Mar 05, 2012
- Karnataka policemen protest assault by lawyers - Mar 22, 2012
- Police assure protection to Karnataka Lokayukta officials - Jul 23, 2011
- Congress corporator hacked to death in Bangalore - Oct 01, 2011
- Medical seat sale racket busted in Karnataka - Oct 03, 2011
- One more terror suspect held in Bangalore, total now 13 - Sep 02, 2012
- Lawyers' protest clogs central Bangalore - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: cameramen, city civil court, crore, dozen journalists, general secretary, indian penal code, law and order, magistrate, manjunath, media persons, naik, news channels, police commissioner, policemen, recurrence, remand, rupee, state minister, violent attack, violent incidents