Forrest Gump voted ‘greatest film character of all time’March 24th, 2011 - 11:40 am ICT by ANI
London, March 24 (ANI): Forrest Gump has been voted the greatest film character of all time in a new survey.
Out of more than half a million films made by Hollywood, the character portrayed by Tom Hanks ranked top in the biggest ever poll of moviegoers, beating James Bond and Scarlett O’Hara in the process, reports the Telegraph.
The 1994 film was a box office hit and critically acclaimed with Hanks’ performance earning him the Oscar for Best Actor.
Audiences adored Gump as they followed his life from a child to adulthood as he took part in many of the pivotal events of the 1960s and 1970s.
The film, which took more than 500m pounds at the box office, was based on the 1986 novel written by American author Winston Groom.
The film was also known for many of Gump’s phrases, such as “My momma always said, “Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”
While Gump was the runaway winner, British secret agent James Bond was named as the second greatest film character.
Scarlett O’Hara was rated as the third most memorable character.
More than 500,000 people took part in the survey carried out by ABC TV and People magazine. (ANI)
- 'Gone with the Wind' actress Ann Rutherford dies at 94 - Jun 14, 2012
- 'Gone With the Wind' actress Cammie King Conlon dies at the age of 76 years - Sep 03, 2010
- Clint Eastwood's 'Go ahead, make my day' voted most iconic one-liner - Aug 23, 2010
- Who doesn't know about Bollywood: Tom Hanks (Interview) - Jul 10, 2011
- Danielle Lloyd's son Harry released from the hospital - Aug 16, 2011
- Lloyd plans wild hen party - Jan 22, 2012
- Churchill named Britain's greatest gentleman of last century - Dec 10, 2011
- 'Jack Ryan different from other spy characters' - Sep 03, 2012
- Viven Leigh was a 'slutty bisexual', claims tell-all book - Aug 23, 2010
- Cammie King Conlon, 'Gone With The Wind' Child Actress Dies, Age 76 - Sep 03, 2010
- Maureen O'Hara Hopeful Of Finding New Irish Talents In Acting - Dec 18, 2010
- Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks to reunite for new film - Jan 13, 2010
- Teaching ban on 'lesbian' Brit teacher who sent ex-colleague sexual notes, roses - Jan 30, 2011
- Gone With The Wind Gets Released In Blu-Ray - Dec 16, 2009
- Danielle Lloyd pregnant with second child - Jul 14, 2011
Tags: 500m, abc tv, adulthood, american author, best actor, box of chocolates, film character, forrest gump, greatest film, half a million, james bond, london march, memorable character, new survey, people magazine, pivotal events, runaway winner, scarlett o hara, tom hanks, winston groom