Ford sues Next for poaching leggy model Kendra SpearsMay 7th, 2009 - 4:52 pm ICT by ANI
New York, May 7 (ANI): Model Kendra Spears has emerged as a serious bone of contention between two rival modelling agencies, with Ford Models suing Next Management over the leggy stunner who is billed as “the next Cindy Crawford”.
Ford has accused Next of poaching the “All-American beauty”, who was a finalist in its Supermodel of the World competition last year.
“Kendra Spears is one of the shining stars of the Ford development system. Signed as a prospect while still a teenager in braces, for more than a year, Ford has painstakingly cultivated Spears - literally, taught her how to be an international fashion model,” the New York Daily News quoted the suit, filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, as saying.
The suit also accuses Spears of breaching an exclusive contract with Ford so that she could follow three other lovelies who jumped ship to Next in recent months.
The 20-year-old Seattle college student has modelled for Gucci and Hermes following her splashy debut in Ford’s supermodel search.
She bagged a three-year deal with Ford on the back of her showing in the contest.
“She is a beautiful, fresh, all-American ‘face’ who, having been discovered by Ford, trained by Ford, and professionally developed by Ford, is at the precipice of a breakthrough. She is about to become one of a handful of the world’s most sought-after high fashion models,” the suit says.
The court papers say that before signing the deal with Ford, the 5 foot, 10-and-a-half inch beauty was little more than raw talent.
“She was not a high-fashion model. In fact, she was an unknown - a teenager with braces, with no modeling experience to speak of,” the suit says.
“Ford literally taught Spears how to walk a catwalk (an advanced skill requiring dedicated coaching),” it adds.
A spokeswoman for Ford Models declined to comment, and a call to Next Management’s Manhattan office was not returned. (ANI)
- Supermodels of the World contest now comes to India - May 16, 2011
- Paltrow named best dressed celeb - Sep 13, 2012
- Rihanna wants more black models in fashion industry - Jun 10, 2010
- Tom Ford chooses to pose with 15-yr-old model on French Vogue cover - Nov 20, 2010
- Katelyn Fortes is finalist in Victoria's Secret Fashion Show - Nov 08, 2009
- Beyonce Knowles Walks The Ramp In Tom Ford's Show, Photos On Web - Dec 05, 2010
- Tinu Verghis bids adieu to modelling industry (With Image) - Feb 21, 2012
- Blake Lively new face of Gucci - Jun 24, 2012
- Be strong to fight insecurity in modelling world: Tinu Verghis - Feb 25, 2012
- Rihanna Respects Gucci For Selecting Black Models - Jun 10, 2010
- Britney to appear on V mag cover - Feb 26, 2011
- Airline loses $50,000 worth of Giorgio Gucci's luggage - Sep 24, 2010
- Delhi girls dominate Ford's supermodel final list - Jun 13, 2011
- Cristian Ronaldo's girlfriend Irina goes high fashion in Spain - Oct 25, 2010
- Tyra Banks to make directorial debut on 'America's Next Top Model' - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: american beauty, american face, bone of contention, cindy crawford, fashion model, fashion models, ford models, high fashion, international fashion, lovelies, manhattan office, modelling agencies, new york daily news, old seattle, precipice, raw talent, seattle college, shining stars, splashy debut, world competition