Forcing farmers off their lands unfortunate: Preeti JhangianiNovember 28th, 2011 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 28 (IANS) Governments and corporate houses have no business coercing and buying off lands from rural farmers, an increasing trend in India, says actor-producer Preeti Janghiani.
Preeti was speaking to reporters here Monday, a day after her first production venture “Sahi Bande Galat Dhande”, a black comic critique of institutional land grabbing in rural India, starring her husband Parveen Dabas, was screened in the Indian Panorama section at the ongoing 42nd International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
“It is sad that farmers are being forced to sell their land, even if it for large sums of money. Money is not everything. It is not sustainable like a job,” added the 31-year-old.
The film, which received mixed reviews, is about four coarse youngsters who form a mercenary gang, which indulges in land grabbing and bullies people off their lands for a price. The gang has a change of heart and ends up supporting the same villagers whom they had told to vacate their land holdings in a village.
“We had the first screening of the film at a village of Kanjhawala, near Delhi. We learnt a lot from their input about the film because it was about a subject which was close to their hearts,” said Preeti, who was seen in films like “Mohabbatein”, “Awara Paagal Deewana” and “LOC Kargil”.
Land acquisition has been a contentious issue, especially with farmers in the rural ares being “bought out” often and forced off their lands for mega industrial and residential projects.
The central government is already tinkering with a new and more “humane” land acquisition bill, which makes the land loser a stake holder in the projects envisaged on the land formerly owned by them.
- Preeti back to full-time acting with 'Yeh Hai Mumbai' (With Image) - Jan 12, 2012
- 'Sahi Dhande...', an honest effort by Parvin Dabas (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Aug 20, 2011
- Parvin Dabas turns director with 'Sahi Dhandhe Galat Bande' - May 27, 2011
- Parvin and I never behave like husband-wife on sets: Preeti - Jul 06, 2011
- Actor Parvin Dabas turns producer-director too - Jun 01, 2010
- Kids bring spontaneity on sets, says Parvin Dabas - Aug 30, 2012
- Emraan effortless actor, says Bipasha (Movie Snippets) - Sep 05, 2012
- Parvin Dabas edits scenes hours before film release - Aug 19, 2011
- Aftab signs his first horror movie - Aug 21, 2011
- 'Jalpari' - a little gem, with message on female foeticide (IANS Movie Review) - Aug 31, 2012
- 'Fertile land won't be acquired for power plants' - Sep 05, 2012
- Farmers protest land acquisition in Uttar Pradesh's Chandauli - May 29, 2011
- Noida farmers seek CBI probe in land acquisition - Jul 16, 2011
- Greater Noida farmers support draft land bill - Jul 30, 2011
- PM announces financial aid to Bhatta-Parsaul villagers - May 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,