for prakash-I’ll reduce my price during recession: Director Anees BazmiMarch 15th, 2009 - 8:34 am ICT by IANS
By Joginder Tuteja
Mumbai, March 15 (IANS) Filmmaker Anees Bazmee, who has given hits like “Singh Is Kinng”, “Welcome” and “No Entry”, admits he had been offered big money for new projects a couple of months ago, but says he will reduce his price in the wake of the global financial crisis.
After the success of “Singh Is Kinng”, which starred Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif, Bazmee was rumoured to have been offered as much Rs.51 crores (Rs.510 million) for a three-film deal by a top corporate house, but he refused to reveal the exact figure.
“Yes, there have been huge offers after ‘Singh Is Kinng’ as well and I’m certainly considering a few of them. In any case, temptations like these aren’t new to me because ever since ‘No Entry’ became a superhit, mega bucks have been offered to me. Still, I don’t want to rush my films and go for quantity while compromising on quality,” Bazmee had said earlier.
But six-odd months after ‘Singh Is Kinng’, the industry scenario has changed. So how much of the “temptation” still exists?
“Of course huge numbers like the ones being quoted earlier would be very unreasonable. In fact, during that time when the industry was at its peak, some people were willing to offer even more. But today the situation is different and I fully understand it. Now is the time to face reality,” Bazmee told IANS.
So is he going to take a price cut?
“Of course I will reduce my price,” he answered. “Meanwhile, I’m sure that even producers will have to understand that I have never been unreasonable in my deals. I ensure much bigger returns than the investment. They know my worth, especially after three blockbusters in a row. Come on, the entire line-up cannot be made of flukes, right?”
He added: “Moreover, I do only one film at a time. So while others may sign multiple projects at, say, Re.1 each, I will certainly be commanding a little more than that.”
“More than recession affecting the industry, I would say it is time for some severe correction. No one is going to put his own life at stake in order to afford you. Everyone in the chain should be making money and for that things have to be brought back under control,” the filmmaker said.
Bazmee is currently busy working on his next film, “It’s my Life”, which has Hurman Baweja and Genelia D’Souza playing the lead roles.
Tags: akshay kumar, blockbusters, crores, exact figure, film deal, films, global financial crisis, industry scenario, joginder, katrina kaif, money, new projects, prakash, producers, recession, temptation, temptations