Flannery O’ Connor is Dead but her works still livesMay 14th, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by GD
In the year 1979, writer Flannery O’ Connor’s work, “Wise Blood” made it to the silver screen. The screen version of the novel was directed by John Huston and even though it was low budget film, it was greatly praised and then appreciated only to be forgotten later.
O’ Connor was one of those writers who achieved fame early in her life. She never had to struggle as a writer. However good health eluded her all her life. At the age of 25 she was diagnosed with Lupus, the same disease her father suffered and ultimately died from.
O’ Connor also did not live long; she died 14 years after being diagnosed with the disease at the age of 39.
All her life she remained a devout catholic and almost all of her works have splashes of her religious inclination.
Apart from writing novels she was also quite adept in writing short stories, the most famous among her short stories being, “A Good Man is Hard to Find.”
Most of her works have an element of darkness in them. These elements have been thought to have stemmed from the “low life” that she frequently exhibited in her fiction.
Carlton Cuss the Executive producer of the series “Lost” (the season finale episode of Lost will be using the O’ Connor’s work, “Everything that Rises Must Converge” as a prop) told the Union-Recorder that, “Flannery O’Connor’s use of Christian theology in concert with sudden, unexpected violence was inspiring to us,”. The producer further added, “She was truly an exceptional writer.”
- Sinead O'Connor tweets about her suicidal tendencies - Sep 20, 2011
- 'Warrior Family...' a family film, a special treat (IANS Movie Review) - Sep 17, 2011
- Meryl Streep wins best actress trophy at BAFTA - Feb 13, 2012
- Sinead O'Connor splits with husband - Dec 28, 2011
- Sinead O'Connor shows off her new look - Jul 07, 2011
- 'The Artist' wins top honours at BAFTA (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- O'connor's marriage back on track - Jan 31, 2012
- Sinead O'Connor calls off divorce - Jan 05, 2012
- Stewart working on first novel - Apr 03, 2012
- Kristin Davis Makes A Comeback With "The Happiness Project"? - Oct 25, 2010
- Oz teacher stood down for using sticky-tape as punishment - Nov 12, 2010
- Olympic equestrian: Swiss Guerdat bags gold in show jumping - Aug 08, 2012
- Sinead O'Connor talks about her search for sex - Sep 01, 2011
- Mexican author dies hours after winning prize - Nov 20, 2011
- Variant form of immune receptor gene 'ups lupus risk in men' - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: budget film, christian theology, cuss, darkness, executive producer, fame, flannery o connor, good health, good man, inclination, john huston, low budget, lupus, season finale episode, short stories, silver screen, splashes, wise blood, writer flannery, writing novels