Fish and chips aroma is Brits Most Favourite SmellAugust 27th, 2008 - 2:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 27 (ANI): The aroma of fish and chips is Britons most favourite smell, says a new study.
The dish, which is also one of Britains favourite dish, has topped the survey of 3,000 people, which asked Brits to rate their most loved smell.
Britons judged the mouth-watering aroma of the dish to be even better than the scent of freshly baked bread and clean sheets.
The survey also saw freshly cut grass, frying bacon, lemon zest and the smell of a roast dinner, in the top ten favourite smells.
Fish and chips was the overall favourite scent, but when it came to the smell that is cleanest and freshest, the majority of people rated lemon as top.
Researchers also found more than 53 per cent of people felt happy when they catched a smell of their favourite scent, while 46 per cent said it relaxes them.
The sense of smell connects the deep subconscious regions of the brain and triggers different emotions and behaviours, Telegraph quoted Professor Tim Jacob, a scent expert at Cardiff University, as saying.
For example, the aroma of food triggers a mouth-watering sensation in preparation for digestion.
Conversely, bad smells can protect us, by warning us to stay away from something that might harm us.
Certain feelings are evoked by scents, so lemon is traditionally associated with cleanliness and freshness, but interestingly, it also has antidepressant qualities too, the researcher added.
The survey found that our most hated smell is that of public toilets. Other hated smells include body odour, bad breath, babies nappies and cigarettes.
The study was conducted by Finish Lemon Sparkle dishwasher products. (ANI)
- Smell of freshly baked bread, clean sheets make Brits happy - Dec 07, 2009
- Brits rate Bacon sandwiches as their favorite tasty pleasure - Mar 15, 2011
- Chubritza to lokum, delightfully Turkish - in Kolkata! (Eating Out With IANS) - Jun 12, 2011
- Chinese stir-fry is Britain's top dish - Jan 22, 2012
- Men love 'the scent of roast dinner on women' - Oct 29, 2010
- India, and its art of spices - Jun 20, 2011
- Shepherd's pie is Brits' favourite home-cooked meal - Apr 15, 2010
- Steak, spaghetti beat tikka masala to third place as UK's favourite food - Nov 30, 2010
- US Company launches world's first bacon-scented cologne - Apr 09, 2011
- TV images to come alive with evocative aromas - Oct 21, 2010
- Pineapple halwa, to chicken shami kebab for the Obamas - Nov 08, 2010
- Brits fall back in love with fish 'n' chips - Sep 24, 2010
- Italian food is now world's favourite - Jan 18, 2011
- Baked potato triggers positive memories! - Apr 03, 2012
- Pizzas beat Indian curry meals in Britain - Aug 09, 2010