First time footage of a leopard making mince meat of a crocodile!July 19th, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by ANI
London , July 19 (ANI): In what is believed to be the first incident of its kind caught on tape, a leopard has been captured hunting another powerful predator a crocodile.
Crocodiles have long been known to feed upon leopards, but this time round, onlookers at a South African game park were left gobsmacked when a leopard snatched a crocodile from the water.
The big cat then emerged with the croc in its mouth and began to suffocate its prey, who gave in to the leopard after a fearsome fight.
American wildlife photographer Hal Brindley snapped the amazing moment as he was photographing hippos from his car at a waterhole in Kruger National Park .
“I asked many rangers in South Africa if they had ever heard of anything like this and they all said no, the Mirror quoted Hal, as saying.
He added: “It just doesn”t make sense. The meat you get out of a crocodile is just not worth the risk it takes a predator to acquire.
“It happened in about five minutes, then the leopard was gone. I drove away elated - it was the most amazing thing I”ve ever seen.” (ANI)
- The crocs of Bhitarkanika: A problem of plenty? (With Image) - May 21, 2012
- Drunk Man Survives Crocodile Attack! - Jul 14, 2010
- Sariska tigers feature in BBC series (With Images) - Feb 02, 2012
- 27-foot crocs roamed east Africa - May 07, 2012
- Assam forest ranger rescues leopard, gets injured - Jul 26, 2011
- Australian punches attacking croc, escapes - Feb 06, 2011
- Former minister on India's wildlife trail -- with a camera (With Images) - Dec 08, 2011
- The white ghost of the Himalayas: A vision in the snow (Feature) - Mar 11, 2012
- Injured female leopard dies in Uttarakhand's famous Corbett Park - Jul 31, 2010
- Brave Oz father reveals how he fought off croc attack in waterhole - Feb 13, 2011
- Meet the planet's most powerful biters - Mar 19, 2012
- Barefoot Oz fisherman steps on croc while fishing, gets bitten - Oct 24, 2010
- 'Big cats roaming British countryside' - Dec 29, 2011
- 100mn-year-old cat-like croc fossil found in East Africa - Aug 05, 2010
- 'Monster croc' feasted on humans 2 million years ago - Feb 25, 2010
Tags: american wildlife, big cat, brindley, croc, crocodile, crocodiles, five minutes, game park, hippos, kruger national park, leopard, leopards, onlookers, predator, prey, rangers, south africa, south african game, waterhole, wildlife photographer