Filmmakers don’t trust new writers: OnirMarch 12th, 2012 - 4:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 12 (IANS) Filmmaker Onir, who has made some powerful films like “My Brother Nikhil” and “I Am”, says there is no dearth of talented writers but filmmakers like to play it safe and choose to go with tried-and-tested stories.
“I don’t think there are no writers or stories, there is a lack of people who believe in them. I am sure there are enough writers and stories but unfortunately the people with the finance don’t trust those stories, don’t want to go for originals,” the 42-year-old said here at the Mumbai Mantra & Sundance Institute meet.
“They would rather remake something which is already made and that becomes safe. I think it’s more about lack of vision than lack of stories,” he added.
Meanwhile, Onir, whose “I Am” recently won the National Award in two categories - best Hindi film and best lyrics, says the honour becomes all the more special as it came for a film not many people initially believed in.
“It’s still sinking in… it is for something totally unexpected and that makes it very, very precious… two National Awards for the same film, which nobody believed in when we started off. I am so grateful to all those people who made the film possible,” said Onir.
“I Am” was a public-funded film and had four intriguing and gripping tales that appealed to the audiences.
His next production is “Chauranga”, being co-produced by Sanjay Suri. He has also announced his next directorial venture “Shab”.
- To get actors, composers, Onir eyes social media - Oct 18, 2011
- Cannes invites Onir to attend Producers Network - Mar 20, 2012
- Shaan's tryst with acting! (Movie Snippets) - Oct 26, 2011
- 'Shab' my first love story: Onir - Jun 05, 2012
- We want good scripts, chants Bollywood - Mar 19, 2012
- 'I Am' was most difficult to make: Onir - Mar 07, 2012
- Nandita to direct play (Movie Snippets) - Jul 10, 2012
- Honoured and humbled, says Amitabh Bhattacharya - Mar 07, 2012
- Sundance Institute comes to India: boost for scriptwriting - Mar 11, 2012
- Directors pick the mighty pen, scriptwriters wonder why! - Jun 23, 2011
- Secret behind Ranveer's six-pack (Movie Snippets) - Nov 15, 2011
- I aim to bring powerful subjects on screen: Nandita Das - Apr 22, 2011
- Homosexuals wrongly portrayed in films: Filmmaker Onir - Jan 12, 2011
- I never faced obstacles because of my sexual preference: Onir - Mar 13, 2011
- 'I AM' telecast on DD only after U-certificate; Onir upset - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: amp, audiences, brother nikhil, dearth, directorial venture, filmmaker, filmmakers, films, finance, hindi film, honour, lyrics, mumbai, national awards, onir, sanjay suri, sundance institute, talented writers