Filmmaker Subhash Sagar deadJune 10th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 10 (IANS) Well-known Bollywood producer-distributor Subhash Sagar, eldest son of late Ramanand Sagar, died here after prolonged illness, a family source said. He was 72.
He died at the Lilavati Hospital where he was admitted in the Intensive Care Unit a few days back.
“For the last one year he was on dialysis and earlier he had a bypass surgery as well. His condition was deteriorating because of all these ailments. He died in the morning at 10.30,” his brother Moti Sagar told IANS on phone from Mumbai.
“He will be cremated today evening in Vile Parle. He is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter,” added Moti Sagar.
Subhash Sagar started his career as an automobile industrialist and later became an executive member of the Maharashtra Motor Parts Association.
He ventured into filmmaking as a producer with the 1973 hit “Hamrahi”. It was followed by “Ram Bharose” (1977) and “Pyara Dushman” (1980).
In 1975, he produced the Gujarati blockbuster “Veer Mangda Valo”. After the success of the film he became vice president of the Gujarat Film Chamber of Commerce and served for nine years.
After that he ventured into film distribution by opening Sagar Film Distributors with offices across India before venturing into television.
Subhash Sagar produced serials like “Ramayan”, “Shri Krishna” and “Alif Laila”. Apart from that he made other mythological series “Jai Ganga Maiya” and the mega regional film in Gujarati “Mota Ghar Ni Laaj”.
He also ran an acting school Sagar Film Academy in Vadodara.
- 'Ramayan' to be back on small screen - Jul 24, 2012
- New 'Ramayan' on TV simplified, technology-backed - Aug 04, 2012
- I can't even get close to Arun Govil: Gagan Malik (With Images) - Aug 31, 2012
- Wrestler-actor Dara Singh dead (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Gujarati songs played at actor's funeral - May 13, 2012
- Dara Singh - the champion loses his final fight (Obituary) - Jul 12, 2012
- '1971' director's next a romantic comedy (With Images) - Jun 26, 2012
- Old is gold: Revival time for Bollywood's defunct banners - Jul 17, 2012
- '...Yellow Boots' my first film releasing worldwide: Anurag Kashyap - Aug 09, 2011
- Bollywood's Patriotic Films (To Comemmorate The 63rd Independence Day On August 15, 2010) - Aug 11, 2010
- VM - Dara Singh, champ with heart of gold, bid final goodbye (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2012
- Dara Singh, champ with heart of gold, bid final goodbye (Intro Roundup, correcting para eight) - Jul 12, 2012
- Wrestler-actor Dara Singh dead, Bollywood in mourning (Second lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Amrit Sagar captures big fat Indian wedding in new film - Jul 09, 2012
- Coloured version of 'Mayabazar' hits screens in Andhra - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: acting school, alif, blockbuster, dushman, executive member, family source, film academy, film chamber, film distribution, film distributors, intensive care unit, lilavati hospital, maiya, mota ghar, pyara, ramanand, regional film, shri krishna, subhash, vile parle