Filmfare certificate was a pleasant surprise: Purab KohliMarch 23rd, 2009 - 11:01 am ICT by IANS
By Radhika Bhirani
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) He was a tad bit disappointed for not being nominated for for a Filmfare Award, but VJ-turned-actor Purab Kohli says the special jury certificate he got for his performance in “Rock On!!” was a sign that people were noticing his work.
“I think I did a reasonably decent job in ‘Rock On!!’ to at least get nominated at the awards. I was a bit disappointed with no nomination at the Filmfare. But the certificate that I got was a pleasant surprise…it’s nice to know that the industry is paying attention,” Purab told IANS in an e-mail interview.
“More than anything else what really made me happy was the audience reaction there. I got the feeling like everyone there wanted me to win something,” the actor said.
Sharing his philosophy on awards, Purab said: “When you don’t win one, they are nothing…When you win something, it’s everything.”
In “Rock On!!”, which revolves around a group of four music-crazy friends, Purab played a long-haired, goatied drummer. The film also starred actor-filmmaker Farhan Akhtar, Arjun Rampal and Luke Kenny and snapped up seven awards at the Filmfare Awards held Feb 28.
Ever since the film’s release, the four actors have been performing “Rock On!!” concerts in and out of India together. In fact, they have just returned from a concert in Dubai.
How was the experience?
“Quite mad! There’s no feeling like being on a stage when the crowd just loves you, you have to just love them back and that’s easy,” said Purab.
While all the guys of the “Rock On!!” team have gotten busy with their respective film schedules, they still make it a point to catch up with one another at least once a month.
“We have a ‘Rock On!!’ party every month. That’s where we do all the catching up. Post ‘Rock On!!’, life has got quite busy in a good way, so hanging with the boys every day is not possible. But the parties are fun,” Purab said.
The film proved to be a turning point in Purab’s career, who had made his Bollywood debut in 2003 with “Bas Yun Hi” opposite Nandita Das after his stint on the small screen as an actor and VJ. After that he has acted in films like “Supari”, “Vastu Shastra”, “My Brother Nikhil”, “Woh Lamhe” and “Awarapan”.
Interestingly, the actor hasn’t done the typical Bollywood masala films. He has a reason behind that too.
“I choose from films that are offered to me and since I came from a music channel background, people usually offered me ‘non-Bollywoodish’ films. But after ‘Rock On!!’, it’s all changing. You’ll see!”
The young actor says he would love to do an action film and hopes someone will offer him one in the near future.
He does have a bunch of films lined up and they all seem to have weird titles - “Shaadi of the Dead”, “Rectangular Love Story” and “Mok-tale”.
“Well only ‘Shaadi of the Dead’ is a title that will stay. Both the others are working titles,” Purab said.
- John Abraham makes diet chart for Shreyas Talpade (Film Snippets) - Apr 01, 2009
- Silly travellers, check out India first: Purab Kohli - Nov 09, 2011
- Communication gap with Nandita helped our chemistry in 'I AM': Purab - Apr 29, 2011
- Rock star to villager, Purab Kohli explores diverse roles - Jan 15, 2009
- Purab Kohli keen to work in Big budget films - Nov 03, 2009
- Purab Kohli quits as 'Sa Re Ga Ma...' host - Oct 05, 2010
- We are bad losers: Abhishek (Movie snippets) - Jan 11, 2012
- Awards are important, says SRK - Jan 14, 2012
- Hide N Seek sets different benchmarks -Purab Kohli - Dec 21, 2009
- I GO BY MY INTUITION AS AN ACTOR- Purab Kohli - Mar 11, 2010
- Ayushmann wants to go with the audiences' choice - May 25, 2012
- Star power keeps Bollywood afloat, Zoya Akhtar - Mar 16, 2012
- Shah Rukh, Sonam named worst actors at Golden Kela Awards - Mar 13, 2011
- B-Town wants "Zindagi Na..." to win best film award (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- B-Town wants "Zindagi Na..." to win best film award - Jan 14, 2012
Tags: actors, arjun rampal, audience reaction, concerts, crazy friends, crowd, decent job, drummer, dubai, e mail, film schedules, filmfare award, mail interview, New Delhi, nomination, paying attention, purab kohli, radhika, special jury, tad