Filmdom needs more and more talent: Om PuriJuly 8th, 2012 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) National Award winning actor Om Puri feels that filmdom does not require any guiding force as people are involved in producing good cinema, but feels there should be a greater influx of talent.
“Movies are improving now. Many young directors are making good movies, but the problem is that the number of such filmmakers is less… There are around eight-nine such directors who make very sensible films,” Om Puri told IANS.
He was here for the IBN7 “Guru Shishya Awards”.
Recently seen in “Agneepath”, Om Puri feels that the film industry is not guided by any trend, the only guiding factor is box office business.
“The main purpose of the industry is to make money. Money is important because if the film does not make money, then how will they make the next film? In any other business, if there is 20 percent profit, then people get happy. But here 100 percent profit is expected,” he said.
“They say that, ‘Initial lag gaya’. If there is a big star, then people are bound to watch movie on the first day. If they do not like the film, they discourage people not to watch it. The main base of the film industry is business,” he added.
The 61-year-old, known for his performances in films like “Arohan”, “Ardh Satya” and “Maqbool”, will next be seen in Prakash Jha’s “Chakravyuh”.
- Crossover cinema must relate to people: Om Puri (Interview) - Jun 11, 2011
- I am an untouchable for big banners: Om Puri (Interview) - Mar 18, 2011
- Om Puri's role in 'Chakravyuh' similar to Kobad Ghandy - Aug 11, 2012
- Honour killings dent our country's image: Om Puri - Jul 04, 2010
- It's good to be bad, says Priyanka - Jan 17, 2012
- John to sport a moustache in 'Kaakha Kakha' remake - Jun 02, 2010
- Akshay talks business, says make your own films - Apr 15, 2012
- We want good scripts, chants Bollywood - Mar 19, 2012
- Shah Rukh a brother? No way, says Vidya (Movie Snippets) - Jan 31, 2012
- Five movie trailers to release with 'Agneepath' - Jan 17, 2012
- Film fraternity came out in full strength to support Anna's movement - Aug 28, 2011
- Bollywood finally sets stage for theatre veterans - Apr 21, 2012
- Bollywood last alternative to Hollywood: Director Dibakar Banerjee (Interview) - May 26, 2012
- Interesting Facts and Figures: Om Puri - Apr 24, 2009
- 'Agneepath' rare action film with scope for music: Atul-Ajay - Dec 21, 2011