“Film making can never be taught” - Ram Gopal VarmaMay 27th, 2009 - 10:15 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Joginder Tuteja
Ram Gopal Varma continues to have strong views about films and film making. While he is neck deep busy with the making of three of his films AGYAAT, RANN and RAKTA CHARITRA, he still keeps in touch with the external world.
Since he has been into film making for close to couple of decades now, he was recently questioned if he ever contemplated opening a film school. To which Ramu replied, “The concept of film schools in today’s time is a big sham. In the olden days there was no access to film tools like camera etc. due to which making a film was considered to be a big deal. However, that’s not quite the case today.”
He feels that it’s a lot friendlier for a film maker to experiment with making a film. “Today anybody with a digi camera and a laptop can make a film”, he smiles.
There was a time when studying in a film school had it’s own charm, considering a wide variety of international films that the school’s film archives hosted. “But today, a DVD store can be found at every corner of a locality and has more films than the archives of a film school. So that argument too doesn’t quite hold good”, challenges Ramu.
He also goes on to challenge the very fundamental of film making being ‘taught’. “I firmly believe that filmmaking is an expressionist art. Considering that, it can never be taught. Period”, signs off Ramu.
- 'Rakta Charitra' will re-launch both me and Vivek Oberoi" - Ram Gopal Varma - Apr 27, 2009
- Ramu Apologizes To Sanjay, Rakta Charitra 2 Will Release With Guzaarish As ‘Peace Offering’ - Oct 20, 2010
- Ramu to release 'Rakta Charitra II' Nov 19 - Oct 18, 2010
- 'Rakta Charitra' Marks The Return Of RGV To His Home Turf - Oct 22, 2010
- RGV shocked at gangster-politician Suri's killing - Jan 04, 2011
- Raima Sen episode was blown out of proportion -Ram Gopal Varma - Jan 27, 2010
- Suriya: I Would Like My Hindi Films To Release In Tamil As Well - Oct 30, 2010
- Varma's next 'Rakta Charitra' about rebel Paritala Ravi - Apr 12, 2009
- "Not just Big B, but every other character is important in 'Rann'?"- Ram Gopal Varma - Jan 07, 2010
- Bollywood Gupshup Of The Week (30th Aug to 4th Sep 2010) - Sep 01, 2010
- Ramu scared of the Bachchans? - Apr 21, 2010
- No Sarkar 3 for Ranbir says Ramu - Nov 23, 2009
- 'Rakta Charitra' Songs Released, Film To Hit Theaters In October - Sep 26, 2010
- Is Ram Gopal Varma's Rakta Charitra a true story? - Dec 01, 2009
- Ram Gopal Varma Gets Death Threats, Won't Accept Security - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: challenges, decades, digi camera, expressionist art, film archives, film maker, film school, film schools, film tools, filmmaking, international films, joginder, laptop, locality, olden days, ram gopal varma, rann, sham, signs