Film historian turns collection to ‘Bollywood in Posters’June 13th, 2009 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
By Radhika Bhirani
Macau, June 13 (IANS) Mumbai-based film historian S.M.M. Ausaja, who has been passionately collecting rare Bollywood posters for 20 years now, finally handpicked 200 of them for his book “Bollywood In Posters”.
The book was launched by megastar Amitabh Bachchan at the ongoing International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) weekend.
“I started collecting posters of Amitabh Bachchan’s films over 20 years back around the 1980s. That’s how the passion began and soon enough I started expanding my collection by collecting posters of classics. Now I have over 5,000 posters,” Ausaja told IANS here.
Ausaja, who hails from Lucknow, said he had two options to share his collection with the masses - either to showcase them at an exhibition or to convert them into a book. He chose to bring out a book.
“Beyond a point, I didn’t know what to do with the posters till one day I thought that I should either put up an exhibition or compile a few into a book. I discussed the idea with Amitabh Bachchan and he gave me tremendous support for turning some of the best posters into a book,” he said.
According to Ausaja, though choosing the select 200 posters to include in his book was a difficult task, he picked them on two criterion - creativity and performances that a film had.
The oldest film’s poster to feature in Ausaja’s book is “Alam Ara”, which is India’s first talkie film and dates back to 1931.
Asked about how he preserves his collection of such old posters, Ausaja said: “I have a huge personal archive of these and I preserve them in rolls. I have cupboards and cupboards in my house and that’s where I store them.”
The book will hit stands in July with 5,000 copies in India.
–Indio-Asian News Service
- Big B at 'Bollywood in Posters' Book Launch - May 22, 2010
- Use of word Bollywood in book's title upsets Big B - May 21, 2010
- Bollywood posters go dare bare with women - Feb 23, 2012
- From billboards to Madhuri: Husain's love affair with cinema - Jun 09, 2011
- Bachchan launches Bollywood book despite aversion to name - Jun 11, 2009
- Sex comedy in B-town: Audiences ready, censors alert - Jul 23, 2012
- Bollywood went from gloom to glory, singing 'Ooh la la' (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 15, 2011
- 'RA.One' third Indian film to cross Rs.100 crore mark - Oct 24, 2011
- Bollywood goes back and forth in time (Feature) - May 05, 2012
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan gives birth to a baby girl - Nov 16, 2011
- India inspired design on sale at Sotheby's - Feb 14, 2012
- Designer wants Big B to 'Don' jacket - Nov 24, 2010
- Brazil starlet reveals Tottenham approach - Jul 07, 2012
- A good act lands principal in trouble - Oct 17, 2011
- Richness of our language getting lost: Amitabh Bachchan (Interview) - Aug 11, 2011
Tags: 1980s, alam, amitabh bachchan, asian news, based film, bollywood posters, creativity, criterion, cupboards, exhibition, film academy, film historian, indian film, indio, news service, old posters, pb, personal archive, rb, showcase