Farah Khan choreographs Kylie’s song for freeMarch 10th, 2009 - 11:30 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, March 10 (IANS) Farah Khan surprised debutant director Anthony D’Souza not just by agreeing to choreograph a song in his film “Blue” with Australian pop singer Kylie Minogue but by insisting on doing it free for her “dear friend”.
“We’ve the cheque ready. But she won’t accept it. Farah won’t take any money for the Kylie Minogue song, although it’s a very lengthy and taxing number. She says she can’t charge me because I’m a very old and dear friend,” said D’Souza.
D’Souza and choreographer-director Farah have known each other for 18 years.
“I first got to know her in 1991. I made ads and music videos. She went on to make a name for herself as a choreographer and then a filmmaker. I had decided she’d choreograph for me when I turn director. When this complicated number came my way I knew it was Farah’s call. But I didn’t know she’d insist on doing it for free,” he said.
Farah has become very choosy when it comes to signing on choreography assignments ever since she turned director with “Main Hoon Na” in 2004 - one of the reasons why D’Souza was pleasantly surprised when she agreed almost immediately.
The song has been composed by Oscar-winner A.R. Rahman and D’Souza wanted it to be really special.
“The number was very intricately filmed. It starts off with Kylie, then all the other members of the cast are brought in. I’d have paid Farah any amount to choreograph it,” the director said.
Apart from Kylie, the song in “Blue” also features Akshay Kumar, Zayed Khan, Lara Dutta and Sanjay Dutt.
- When Farah danced to Geeta's tune - Jul 15, 2012
- Teaching dance steps to three pairs is a challenge: Farah - Jul 12, 2011
- I always wanted to make a dance film: Remo D'Souza - Jun 05, 2012
- Bollywood choreographers and their weighty issues (With Images) - Jan 22, 2012
- Kylie's great, but working with Akshay nostalgic: Farah Khan - Mar 08, 2009
- Shakira to sing cabaret number for Bollywood - Jun 16, 2010
- Shakira To Sing For Salim-Sulaiman - Jun 16, 2010
- Remo d'Souza's 'F.A.L.T.U' is autobiographical - Mar 21, 2011
- I almost fainted when Shirin's role was offered: Farah - May 31, 2012
- I dunno, says John on marriage plans (Movie Snippets) - Jul 30, 2012
- 'Anarkali disco chali' puts pressure on Malaika, Farah - Feb 13, 2012
- Marriage talk hampers Geeta Basra's career! - Dec 06, 2011
- Bela Sehgal doesn't rule out 'Shirin Farhad...' sequel - Aug 25, 2012
- Dancing to luck in Bollywood: the choreographers (This is the fifth in a series by IANS on Bollywood's behind-the-scenes people) - Apr 27, 2011
- Composer Vishal Dadlani claims harassment - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: 18 years, akshay kumar, australian pop, choreographer, choreography, dear friend, director anthony, farah khan, filmmaker, kylie minogue, lara dutta, mumbai, music videos, oscar winner, pop singer, s song, sanjay dutt, souza, subhash k jha, zayed khan