Fans download new ‘Radiohead’ album for justNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:06 am ICT by admin
As many as 4,000 music lovers participated in the poll by industry observers ‘Record Of The Day’.
It is estimated that more than one million copies of the album were downloaded around the world in the first 24 hours, though official figures are yet to be releases.
The group’s spokesman Murray Chalmers has said that the web release of Radiohead’s seventh album should not be seen as their desire to introduced new changes in the industry.
“They didn’t set out to change the music industry in any way. They felt this was the best way to get the music out to the fans as quickly as possible,” the Sun quoted him as saying.
Stuart Bell from the Outside Organisation, which represents the likes of Paul McCartney, David Bowie and The Who, has hailed Radiohead’s move as one of the most innovative in years.
“As a public relations exercise this initiative is brilliant and for a band like Radiohead, with an existing large fan base, it can’t fail. But for a new band it would be a little trickier to pull off,” he said.
HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo feels that the rockers had not exposed the physical album and record shops to any danger by releasing their album online.
“Let’s face it, Radiohead are one of the few acts that can pull this sort of thing off. Fans appreciate the versatility of downloads, but they also love to collect albums,” he said. (ANI)
- 'The Queen' is the best selling record since 1956! - Jan 28, 2011
- 'Queen' to re-release their albums - Nov 10, 2010
- Sir Paul McCartney to launch revamped version of Wings album - Sep 17, 2010
- Radiohead voted 'Greatest Glastonbury Headliner Of All Time' - Jun 25, 2010
- Jacko's albums seem set to top UK album chart - Jun 28, 2009
- Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs makes fitness DVD - Jan 03, 2011
- Macca dumps EMI, to release back catalogue via independent label - Apr 22, 2010
- Listening to Take That and Abba is the best way to improve your mood - Feb 18, 2011
- Boyle's 'I Dreamed A Dream' set to become this year's fastest selling album - Nov 24, 2009
- Coldplays Viva La Vida set to become fastest selling album of 2008 - Jun 13, 2008
- Guy Ritchie launches recording company - Jan 12, 2010
- McCartney inks deal to preserve Beatles' works - Sep 23, 2010
- Radiohead launch their own newspaper - Mar 26, 2011
- Solo album magic wanes: Digital media may revive it - Aug 07, 2012
- Fans go mad for Macca's first Brazilian gig in 18 years - Nov 09, 2010
Tags: castaldo, chalmers, david bowie, fan base, gennaro, hmv, industry observers, move as one, music industry, music lovers, new songs, one million, paul mccartney, radiohead album, rockers, shell out, spokesman, stuart bell, versatility, web release