Fact or Beatles Legend: Is Abbey Road For Sale?February 17th, 2010 - 10:00 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
London, Feb 17, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The famous Abbey Road Studios in London, England may be for sale, according to reports. You may remember this Georgian townhouse as the place where most of the Beatles songs were recorded. Music label EMI has owned this property for years, and has recently faced financial hardships which may cause it to sell Abbey Road.
EMI was bought out by a private equity firm Terra Firma Capital Partners in 2007. Now Terra Firma will need to raise 156 million dollars or they will be in default on a loan of 1.49 billion. Terra Firma knows that the property will not reach that kind of price but hopes that the fame of Abbey Road can get them a lot closer to their goal.
This studio became famous in the years between 1962 and 1970, due to the Beatles using it to record most of their singles, as well as their albums. Despite its wonderful history as a recording studio, it is very unlikely that it has much of a history as one. The equipment there is outdated, and far too expensive for anyone to purchase it for this purpose.
Abbey Road would, perhaps, make an excellent museum site. There is graffiti all over the short wall outside Abbey Road, written by Beatles fans, and during the time period that it was opened to the public, from 1983 to 2005, it was quite a popular tourist spot.
So what will become of Abbey Road? Well, although, “All Things Must Pass” it is quite possible that people will “Come Together” at Abbey Road for years to come.
- Macca hopes Abbey Road Studios survive sell-off - Feb 17, 2010
- EMI says that Abbey Road music studio is not for sale - Feb 22, 2010
- No plans to sell Abbey Road studios: EMI - Feb 22, 2010
- Abbey Road studios is now a listed building - Feb 24, 2010
- Queen 'to quit longtime label EMI' - May 12, 2010
- 'Queen' to re-release their albums - Nov 10, 2010
- Piano Played By The Beatles And Pink Floyd Up For Auction - Aug 03, 2010
- Beatles' Abbey Road studio on sale - Feb 17, 2010
- Abbey Road Studio Possibly For Sale - Feb 17, 2010
- Andrew Lloyd Webber Wants To Buy Abbey Road? - Feb 21, 2010
- Beatles recording studio at Abbey Road up for sale - Feb 17, 2010
- 'Sex Pistols' graffiti being studied by archaeologists - Nov 21, 2011
- Piano played by Beatles on sale - Jul 21, 2010
- National Trust may save 'Beatles' Abbey Road Studios - Feb 18, 2010
- My art reflects my affair with Lennon: Yoko Ono (With Image) - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: abbey road studios, beatles, beatles fans, beatles songs, emi, fame, financial hardships, georgian townhouse, graffiti, london england, london feb, million dollars, music label, private equity firm, recording studio, terra firma capital, terra firma capital partners, time period, tourist spot