Facebook gambling app evokes public outcryAugust 7th, 2012 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 7 (IANS) The first Facebook app to allow players to gamble with real money has provoked an outcry from Christian groups, the Telegraph reported Tuesday.
Bingo Friendzy, developed by the British online gambling company Gamesys, was introduced on Facebook Tuesday. It allows players to stake cash in 90 bingo and slot machine games.
The app is marketed with cartoon graphics featuring characters that have been compared to those on Moshi Monsters, the popular children’s social network.
It has evoked anger from Christian groups, who called on the Advertising Standards Authority to act, according to the newspaper.
“Gambling is age-restricted for a reason: children are excluded because they are vulnerable,” said Toby Scott, director of communications for the Methodist Church.
His concerns were echoed by the Mother’s Union, a Christian charity.
“With the appealing fluffy animal imagery, the site is clearly designed to appeal to a young audience,” a spokesman said.
Facebook said Bingo Friendzy players would be subject to “strict account acceptance controls verifying their identity, and that they are over 18 and located in the UK”.
- Monster India launches professional networking application for Facebook - Oct 04, 2011
- A single click protects kids from pedophiles - Jul 08, 2012
- Apple's Mac App Store downloads top 100 mn - Dec 13, 2011
- Graphic images on cigarette packs influence intentions to quit smoking - Nov 14, 2010
- Katy Perry gets comic book treatment - Jun 08, 2012
- Online free-to-play game Moshi Monsters a hit among Brit kids - Mar 26, 2010
- iPhone app helps kids do virtual drives - Jul 21, 2011
- Facebook to launch own app store - May 10, 2012
- Cartoon Profile Pics On Facebook Takes Web By Storm - Dec 05, 2010
- Vivid ads can create false memories about products? - May 10, 2011
- No access to quota benefits after conversion: Court - Mar 07, 2011
- Angry Birds game now on Facebook - Feb 15, 2012
- Despite high popularity, Facebook pulls the plug on 'Breakup Notifier' - Feb 24, 2011
- Cartoon character display pics mania sweeps Facebook! - Dec 04, 2010
- Facebook lists the most popular games of 2011 - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: advertising standards authority, anger, animal imagery, bingo, cartoon graphics, christian charity, christian groups, facebook, methodist church, monsters, online gambling, public outcry, real money, reason children, s union, slot machine games, spokesman, stake, strict account, toby scott