Experts comment on Brad Pitt’s beardJanuary 13th, 2010 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jan 13 (ANI): Actor Brad Pitt’s long, grey, scraggy and even more knotted beard has earned him some comments.
Pitt, 46, who has had the beard for two years, is now reportedly growing it for a role in the upcoming film “The Lost City of Z”, in which he is tipped to play Col. Percy Harrison Fawcett, an early 20th-century explorer who went missing in the Amazon.
“Generally men grow beards to change their faces,” the New York Post quoted Allan Peterkin, author of ‘One Thousand Beards: A Cultural History of Facial Hair’, as saying.
“Maybe he’s reached a point where he doesn’t want to be considered for his looks. He might want to put forth another face.
“There have been studies where women will be given pictures of men with and without beards, and they invariably rate the men with beards as more virile and more masculine.
“But when asked if they want to kiss him or date him, the answer is no,” he stated.
But growing the beard is not all Pitt has been doing, as he was photographed with beads twisted into his goatee.
Michael Malbon, owner of Lower East Side barber Frank’s Chop Shop, says that Pitt’s scruffy look is in keeping with current trends, and that beards are especially popular during winter when the facial hair can offer some protection from the cold.
“It’s a good look for him - though I don’t know bout the beads,” Malbon said.
“With the guy he is, it just lets the world know that he’s free and wild and still young and doesn’t have to be all clean-shaven. He’s saying, ‘I’m chilling, I don’t need to conform to attitudes’,” he stated.
Kris Payne, who calls himself “premier” of the Gotham City Beardsman Alliance, says that even in beard growing, Pitt excels.
“The hair grows in nice and even, which is something most of us can’t say for ourselves,” Payne said. (ANI)
- Brad Pitt Reveals Reason For Straggly Beard - Mar 25, 2010
- Thousands of men in UK shave off moustaches as Movember ends - Dec 01, 2010
- Brad Pitt Eliminates His Beard - Jul 17, 2010
- Hrithik's bearded woes - Dec 11, 2009
- The Brad Pitt Beard Story - Jan 23, 2010
- Actor Brad Pitt finally shaves off his beard - Jul 13, 2010
- Hairy chests are out: Clean-shaven torsos in - Jul 18, 2012
- Sikhs in Britain fight ban on bearded boxers - Jan 13, 2010
- Neha Dhupia prefers clean-shaven men - Apr 19, 2012
- Pitt shaves off beard - Jul 13, 2010
- Zac Efron's beard itches Vanessa Hudgens - Sep 17, 2010
- Is it hard to grow a beard? Yes, says SRK (Movie Snippets) - Nov 28, 2011
- Shahid's Beard Gone For A Toss - Jun 09, 2010
- SRK wanted moustachioed look when younger - Jun 04, 2010
- Brad Pitt Finally Shaves 'Grey Beard' - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: 20th century, actor brad pitt, allan peterkin, amazon, attitudes, beads, beard, brad pitt, chop shop, cultural history, current trends, facial hair, goatee, kris, lower east side, men with beards, new york post, one thousand beards, percy harrison, upcoming film