Experience magic of 1980s with ‘Housefull’ music (IANS Music Review)March 27th, 2010 - 10:46 am ICT by IANS
By Ruchika Kher
Film: “Housefull”; Music Directors: Shankar Mahadevan-Ehsaan Noorani-Loy Mendonsa; Lyricists: Sameer and Amitabh Bhattacharya; Singers: Loy, Tarun Sagar, Alyssa Mendonsa, Neeraj Shridhar, Amitabh Bhattacharya, Ritu Pathak, Mika Singh, Sunidhi Chauhan, Shankar Mahadevan, Sajid Khan, Arun Ingle, Shabbir Kumar and Vivinenne Pocha; Rating:***
Composer trio Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy have an impressive range - from the Sufi songs in “My Name Is Khan” to energetic numbers in “Housefull”, they blend their styles according to the requirement of the film.
In “Housefull”, directed by Sajid Khan, Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy have done a good job and the soundtrack offers five originals and three remixes. The album also boasts of 1980s flavour as the composers have used an old Amitabh Bachchan song, “Apni toh jaise taise”, with a makeover. They have also roped in Shabbir Kumar, who was quite popular in the 1980s, to sing a song.
The album opens with “Oh girl you are mine”. For the love song, Loy Mendonsa and his daughter Alyssa go behind the mike with Tarun Sagar. Musical arrangements consisting of harmonica sounds and soft percussions are in harmony with the romantic mood of the song. It is totally urban and hip in its approach, owing to its addictive beats and fresh vocals.
The song also has a remixed version attached to it, which is apt for the dance floor.
Next is “Papa jag jayega” crooned by Ritu Pathak, Neeraj Sridhar and Alyssa. The situational number is a mix of English and Hindi lyrics and is aimed at making people laugh with its fun elements. But in spite of foot-tapping beats and strong orchestration, it fails to click with the listener.
The remix version is also average.
Then there is an interesting mix in “Aapka kya hoga (dhanno)”. Sung by Mika Singh, Sunidhi Chauhan and Sajid Khan, the song revisits Amitabh Bachchan’s popular track “Apni to jaise taise” from the 1981 film “Lawaaris”. The hit number appeals even after a makeover. The composers have retained few original lyrics. The song is a winner all the way and makes one dance.
The next song “I don’t know what to do” marks the presence of famous singer Shabbir Kumar after so many years. The singer is given ample support by Sunidhi Chauhan.
The album’s association with yesteryear music continues with the song. The track is quite entertaining and something different to look forward to.
The remixed version, however, is better than the original. Faster in pace, more energetic and more entertaining.
Finally, the album comes up with a song called “Loser” with Vivinenne Pocha and Amitabh Bhattacharya behind the mike. It has a complete western treatment and has a smooth flow.
On the whole, the music of the film brings the feel of the 1980s and offers numbers that have the potential to become chartbusters.
- Music review - Housefull (2010) - Mar 22, 2010
- Top 10 Bollywood songs (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 23, 2010
- Bollywood swayed to retro beats this year (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 19, 2010
- Light, feel good music in 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara'(IANS Music Review) - Jun 14, 2011
- 'Patiala House' packs in entertaining tracks (IANS Music Review) - Jan 17, 2011
- Jacqueline Fernandez grooves to the classic "Apni Toh Jaise Taise" - Apr 09, 2010
- 'Patiala House' Music Is Not Different But Entertaining - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Kaisi hai ye' shines in 'Karthik Calling Karthik' (IANS Music Review) - Jan 21, 2010
- Loy Mendonsa's daughter Alyssa debuts with Uff Teri Adaa - Jan 29, 2010
- 'Game' soundtrack edgy with international feel (IANS Music Review) - Feb 24, 2011
- Shabbir Kumar's comeback song for Housefull - Apr 12, 2010
- 'Aarakshan' songs have universal appeal: Jha - Jun 01, 2011
- A-lister or newcomer: the item song debate - Aug 06, 2011
- 'Kaun si dor' only gem in 'Aarakshan' music (IANS Music Review) - Jul 17, 2011
- Rakeysh Mehra teams up with Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy for '...Milkha' - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: amitabh bachchan, experience magic, foot tapping, impressive range, mendonsa, mika singh, music directors, neeraj, oh girl, pathak, pocha, remixed version, ritu, romantic mood, sajid khan, shabbir kumar, shankar ehsaan loy, shridhar, sunidhi chauhan, taise