ESPN suspends Bob Griese for a week for racist remarkOctober 28th, 2009 - 4:35 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Ohio, Oct 27 (THAINDIAN NEWS) ESPN college football analyst and an NFL Hall of Famer, Bob Griese, has been suspended for one week by ESPN for a racist comment that he made on Saturday on NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya.
During the Ohio State vs Minnesota game, ESPN ran a NASCAR graphic and Chris Spielman said that he wondered where Juan Pablo Montoya was, since his name was not in the Top 5 on the graphic.
Witty Bob Griese remarked that, “He’s was out having a taco.” This entire conversation was live and was broadcast too. ESPN took action against this misdeed by suspending him for a week.
ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz says Griese will not be working a game this week. Krulewitz says ESPN has spoken to Griese and “he understands the comment was inappropriate.” So Bob Griese also apologized on air twice but apparently that wasn’t enough for ESPN.
On the other hand the offended party, Montoya is declining to comment on Griese’s suspension. He brushed off the remark on Sunday, and said he’d never heard of Bob Griese.
- Griese Apologises For Racist Comment Against NASCAR Driver - Oct 25, 2009
- ESPN Broadcaster Ron Franklin Fired - Jan 05, 2011
- Terrell Owens was hospitalized for overdose - Oct 12, 2011
- Juan Pablo involved in Montoya crash - Feb 29, 2012
- Danica Patrick makes her debut at NASCAR - Feb 07, 2010
- Chris Spielman's wife Stefanie Spielman dies of cancer at 42 - Nov 22, 2009
- ESPN's Steve Phillips fired over affair with Brooke Hundley - Oct 27, 2009
- Marc Bulger announces his retirement - Aug 03, 2011
- ESPN Fires Ron Franklin Over Sexist Remarks - Jan 06, 2011
- ESPN fires Hank Williams from 'Monday Night Football' - Oct 06, 2011
- Grandpa' Brett Favre's Daughter Gives Birth - Apr 07, 2010
- NFL Investigating Brett Favre, Jenn Sterger Photo Scandal - Oct 09, 2010
- Kasey Kahne Proud Victor At Atlanta Motor Speedway - Sep 07, 2009
- Minnesota Vikings Fire Head Coach Brad Childress - Nov 23, 2010
- Report: If healthy, Brett Favre will play another season - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: bob griese, chris spielman, college football analyst, espn, espn college football, espn suspends, hall of famer, josh krulewitz, juan pablo montoya, minnesota game, nascar, nfl hall of famer bob, ohio state, racist remark, spokesman