‘English Vinglish’ written with Sridevi in mind: R.BalkiJune 5th, 2012 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 5 (IANS) Actress Sridevi’s comeback film “English Vinglish” was written with only her in mind, says producer R. Balki, whose wife Gauri Shinde has directed the movie.
“‘English Vinglish’ is a very special film for me because it marks the comeback of Sridevi, possibly one of the greatest performers. It was written and discussed keeping Sridevi in mind,” Balki told IANS.
Sridevi scorched the silver screen with films like “Sadma”, “Chandni” “Chaalbaaz”, “Mr.India” and “Lamhe”. Her last movie was “Judaai”, released in 1997.
In “English Vinglish”, Sridevi plays a woman who struggles to speak in English.
“She plays a simple woman who struggles with English language. In India, there is a major problem - either you need money, or you need fame or you need to talk in English to be considered a part of the upper class.
“There is a lot of struggle and lot of people in the country who are insecure because they don’t know English. The film tackles that,” said Balki, an adman-turned-filmmaker, who earlier directed critically acclaimed movies like “Cheeni Kum” and “Paa”.
However, his wife Gauri, who has wielded the megaphone for “English Vinglish”, didn’t turn to him for any filmmaking tips.
“The last person she will take tips would be from me. My wife is very independent. I would rather take tips from her. She is very independent minded, she has her own sensibility and it works for her,” he said.
- Feature film not without tips from Balki: Gauri Shinde - Jul 04, 2012
- What keeps Sridevi glowing at 49? - Aug 31, 2012
- Sridevi to flaunt Sabyasachi sari at Toronto fest - Jul 30, 2012
- 'English Vinglish' inspired by my mom: Gauri Shinde - Aug 14, 2012
- Sridevi, Kareena to clash at box office; Balki unperturbed - Jul 06, 2012
- Balki jealous of wife Gauri - Aug 14, 2012
- Not insecure at all, says Sridevi - Aug 13, 2012
- Big B delighted to shoot with Sridevi after 18 years - Jul 19, 2011
- 'English Vinglish' inspired by my mom: Gauri Shinde (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Bollywood beckons its married heroines - May 02, 2012
- Sridevi turns muse for Sabyasachi Mukherjee at DCW - Aug 13, 2012
- Sridevi 15 times beautiful, better actress now: RGV (Movie Snippets) - Aug 16, 2012
- Balki is a supportive homemaker: Gauri Shinde - Sep 09, 2012
- Women directors surpass gender politics in showbiz (With Images) - Jul 29, 2012
- Sridevi homesick in New York - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: actress sridevi, adman, balki, chandni, comeback film, english language in india, fame, filmmaker, filmmaking tips, films, gauri, kum, megaphone, money, mr india, mumbai, shinde, silver screen, struggle, tackles