‘English Vinglish’ inspired by my mom: Gauri Shinde (Lead)August 14th, 2012 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 14 (IANS) Ad filmmaker Gauri Shinde is bringing the story of an Indian woman battling language problem in the US in her directorial debut “English Vinglish”. She says her mother inspires the film to some extent.
“This film is inspired by my mom,” said Shinde, whose mother, Vaishali Shinde, was born in Kolhapur and currently stays in Pune.
“Like most people in India, she too struggled with the language. It’s just the insensitivity and insecurity that made me do this film,” she said. Initial part of the script has been inspired by her 63-year-old mother and “rest is fictional”, she added.
Through Sridevi’s character, Shinde, who is married to filmmaker R. Balki, tells the story on silver screen and said, “While writing the script, I did not think of anyone.”
“When Balki met Boney Kapoor and Sridevi, they asked him what was he doing at that time. Balki mentioned about me writing a script. Sridevi liked the subject and I narrated the script to her and it just happened,” she said, and added that she earlier made two short films - “Oh Man!” and “Y Not?”.
Like Balki, known for portraying women characters strong in his films, Shinde too has done it in “English Vinglish”.
“I am a woman and I will show all my women as strong characters,” she said.
“English Vinglish” is slated for release Oct 5.
- 'English Vinglish' inspired by my mom: Gauri Shinde - Aug 14, 2012
- Not insecure at all, says Sridevi - Aug 13, 2012
- 'English Vinglish' written with Sridevi in mind: R.Balki - Jun 05, 2012
- Feature film not without tips from Balki: Gauri Shinde - Jul 04, 2012
- Sridevi to flaunt Sabyasachi sari at Toronto fest - Jul 30, 2012
- Balki jealous of wife Gauri - Aug 14, 2012
- Balki is a supportive homemaker: Gauri Shinde - Sep 09, 2012
- What keeps Sridevi glowing at 49? - Aug 31, 2012
- Sridevi homesick in New York - Oct 21, 2011
- Bollywood beckons its married heroines - May 02, 2012
- Sridevi 15 times beautiful, better actress now: RGV (Movie Snippets) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sridevi turns muse for Sabyasachi Mukherjee at DCW - Aug 13, 2012
- Sridevi, Kareena to clash at box office; Balki unperturbed - Jul 06, 2012
- Big B delighted to shoot with Sridevi after 18 years - Jul 19, 2011
- Women directors surpass gender politics in showbiz (With Images) - Jul 29, 2012
Tags: ad filmmaker, balki, directorial debut, extent, indian woman, insecurity, insensitivity, kolhapur, language problem, mom, oct 5, oh man, old mother, pune, release oct, short films, silver screen, women characters, writing a script, writing the script