Emraan, Vidya team up for ‘Ghanchakkar’February 20th, 2012 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) Now this one’s an ‘ooh la la’ pairing! Bollywood’s serial kisser Emraan Hashmi and “The Dirty Picture” star Vidya Balan have been cast opposite each other for comic-thriller “Ghanchakkar”. The two hope to rock it.
A UTV Motion Pictures’ project, the quirky film is expected to go on floors in August and will be directed by Rajkumar Gupta, who worked with Vidya in “No One Killed Jessica”.
Gupta, who claims “Ghanchakkar” is one of his “best projects till date”, says a lot of thought went behind casting the two actors in the movie.
“As a director, you always visualise certain actors for the roles and if you are not required to compromise on the casting; you have won half the battle,” said Gupta.
“This is the first time I am going to be working with Emraan, who, I think, will do complete justice to the role… and this is the first time the audiences will see him essay a role of an eccentric man.
“Having worked with Vidya before, she was definitely my first choice for the role. It’ll be a delight to get her to work in an entirely new genre in a totally different avatar and in a quirky, mad, out-of-the-box role. The two leads and the crackling chemistry between them will take the viewers on a laughter ride,” he added.
“Ghanchakkar” tells the story of Sanju (Emraan), an ex-conman who is laid back and has a taste for finer things in life. The problem is his ambitious wife (played by Vidya).
Vidya and Emraan are excited about being paired again after “The Dirty Picture”.
“As an actor, all you want to do is reach out to the audiences with diverse yet entertaining roles. Having said that, the story, the director, the co-actors, producer, play an extremely critical role while selecting a film. With ‘Ghanchakkar’, it all just fell in place,” said Vidya.
“When you have worked with an actor before, there is a certain amount of comfort that is brought to the table. Emraan is a brilliant co-star and together we hope to rock it,” she added.
Emraan said: “I jumped on board when Rajkumar offered it to me. It’s a brilliant story factoring all the essential components - comedy, thrilling, edgy and entertaining, which is sure to connect with the audiences. It is undoubtedly going to be a challenging role for me, something that I haven’t attempted before.
“And now to add to the excitement, me and Vidya will be seen on screen together again and am sure, under Rajkumar’s apt direction, we will recreate the magic on screen.”
- Rajkumar Gupta teams with Emraan for comedy - Dec 12, 2011
- Emraan, Vidya to romance in Mumbai monsoon for 'Ghanchakkar' - Jun 19, 2012
- With 'Ghanchakkar', Vidya to prove housewives aren't boring - Sep 10, 2012
- Both commercial, serious films important for me: Emraan Hashmi - Sep 09, 2012
- I can't do over-the-top comedy: Emraan Hashmi - Sep 03, 2012
- Emraan wants action film with strong script - Mar 23, 2012
- 'Dirty Picutre' Vidya's bravest performance: Karan Johar - Dec 01, 2011
- 'The Dirty Picture' about rise and fall of 1980s dancing star (Preview) - Nov 29, 2011
- Being compared to Salman an honour: Emraan - Sep 10, 2012
- Sujoy Ghosh wishes Vidya Happy B'day - Jan 01, 2012
- 'Aladdin' flopped as I failed to tell a story: Sujoy Ghosh - Feb 10, 2012
- 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara' leads IIFA nominations - May 04, 2012
- Mix of horror, thrill in 'Raaz 3' (IANS preview) - Sep 05, 2012
- Simpleton to sexy siren: Vidya Balan goes ooh la la! - Aug 31, 2011
- I want to harness Abhishek's humour on screen: Gupta - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: bollywood, co star, comic thriller, conman, crackling, critical role, eccentric man, emraan hashmi, finer things in life, first choice, gupta, half the battle, laid back, ooh la la, quirky film, rajkumar, sanju, serial kisser, utv motion pictures, vidya balan