Eminent filmmaker Shakti Samanta diesApril 10th, 2009 - 12:24 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 9 (IANS) Veteran filmmaker Shakti Samanta died at a hospital here Thursday evening. He was 83.
Samanta died at 6.30 p.m. at the Nanavati Hospital in Vile Parle, his close friend of 45 years A. Krishnamurthi, chairman of Tina Films International, told IANS.
“Samanta had suffered a stroke and was in hospital for the past two weeks. He never recovered. He was supposed to be discharged this evening, but suffered a stroke and died,” Krishnamurthi said.
His son, Asim Samanta, also a filmmaker, was by his side.
Samanta will be cremated Friday at the Santa Cruz crematorium here at 11 a.m.
He has to his credit hits like “Howrah Bridge” (1958), “Kashmir Ki Kali” (1964), “An Evening in Paris” (1967), “Aradhana” (1969), “Kati Patang” (1970), and “Amar Prem” (1971) to name a few.
- Bollywood will miss wizard of entertainment Shakti Samanta (Obituary) - Apr 10, 2009
- Veteran actor A.K. Hangal is dead (Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- Grandson Aarav lights Rajesh Khanna's pyre (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- I will miss Shaktida so much:Sharmila Tagore - Apr 10, 2009
- Showing up not the only way to show respect: Ghai - Aug 28, 2012
- 'Yeh Jo Mohabbat hai' a modern love story: Ashim Samanta - Jun 21, 2012
- A.K. Hangal cremated - Aug 26, 2012
- Grandson Aarav lights Rajesh Khanna's pyre (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Surinder Kapoor's cremation Sunday - Sep 25, 2011
- Grandson Aarav lights Rajesh Khanna's pyre - Jul 19, 2012
- Thousands gather to bid adieu to Kaka - Jul 19, 2012
- Are you an expensive surgeon, Rajesh Khanna asked (With Image) - Jul 25, 2012
- Are you an expensive surgeon, Rajesh Khanna asked (Lead, with correction in second para) - Jul 25, 2012
- Bollywood bids adieu to Joy - Mar 10, 2012
- Gear up for romance, comedy, thriller this Friday (IANS Preview) - Jul 31, 2012