Ellen DeGeneres: Wanda Sykes Reveals Breast CancerSeptember 27th, 2011 - 2:05 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Sep 26 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Ellen started her show off by sharing some of the new fashion trends for the new Fall season. Monochromatic is in, as is high school varsity jackets on women. She points out that wearing white after Labor Day is now on the runways. Ellen also showed humorous photos of herself in the various fashion statements. Ellen showed a shot of herself wearing a plaid skirt and jacket which her mother made her in the seventies. She advises everyone to wear what makes them happy, that makes them feel confident, and is easy to dance in. Ellen then danced with her audience. Joe Jonas performed and the stars from the new ‘Footloose’ put in an appearance.
Wanda Sykes, comedienne and mother of twins, visited the ‘Ellen DeGeneres Show’ today and discussed her illness for the first time. Sykes admitted earlier this year that she had breast cancer and underwent a double mastectomy in order to save her life. She had initially gone the the doctor for breast reduction surgery when the cancer was found.
“This was in February. I went for the reduction. I had real big boobs and I just got tired of knocking over stuff. Every time I eat, Oh lord. I’d carry a Tide stick everywhere I go. My back was sore so it was time to have a reduction,” Wanda shared with Ellen.
She went on, “It wasn’t until after the reduction that in the lab work, the pathology, that they found that I had DCIS in my left breast. I was very, very lucky because DCIS is basically stage-zero cancer. So I was very lucky.”
But despite the fact that she felt lucky, Wanda points out, “But cancer is cancer. I had the choice of, you can go back every three months and get it checked. Have a mammogram, MRI every three months just to see what it’s doing. But, I’m not good at keeping on top of stuff,” Wanda joked, “I’m pretty sure I’m overdue for an oil change and a teeth cleaning already,” and she added, “I have a lot breast cancer history on my mother’s side of the family.” She says that she had both breasts removed to make sure that she has zero chance of breast cancer. She spoke of friends of hers who were not so fortunate. She had her surgery on August 4th.
Wanda was hesitant about whether or not to speak on the subject. “I was like, I don’t know, should I talk about it or what? How many things could I have? I’m Black, then Lesbian. I can’t be the poster child for everything.”
Wanda told Ellen that she had just gotten back from a visit to Hawaii for a much needed vacation. She also shared a bit about what it is like to be the mother of two year old twins.
- Wanda Sykes talks about her breast cancer treatment - Sep 23, 2011
- Wanda Sykes In HBO's "I'ma Be Me" - Oct 08, 2009
- Ellen DeGeneres After Emmy Show Stars Harry Connick Jr - Sep 21, 2011
- Dense boobs linked to breast cancer return - Oct 08, 2010
- The Ellen DeGeneres Show: Wanda Sykes & Kylee Kim - Jan 08, 2010
- Drop in breast cancer rates linked to reduced hormone therapy - Dec 01, 2010
- Wanda Sykes Gearing Up For The Late Night Scene - Oct 11, 2009
- Ellen DeGeneres: Hillary Duff Reveals her Baby's Sex - Oct 18, 2011
- Martina Navratilona diagnosed with breast cancer - Apr 08, 2010
- Jessica Alba flashes her bra in a see-through top! - Sep 04, 2010
- Women born to older mothers may develop breast cancer - Feb 07, 2012
- No fashion tips for Lea Michele - Oct 05, 2011
- Study: Breast cancer linked to breast density - Oct 08, 2010
- Sonam asks fans for special birthday gift - Jun 07, 2012
- Heidi Montag Feels Like Edward Scissorhands Due to Scars - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: big boobs, breast cancer, breast cancer history, breast reduction, breast reduction surgery, double mastectomy, ellen degeneres, ellen degeneres show, fashion statements, high school varsity jackets, humorous photos, left breast, mammogram, mastectomy, mother of twins, new fashion trends, plaid skirt, school varsity, wanda sykes, wearing white after labor day