Elizabeth Taylor wins legal battle over van Gogh paintingNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:04 am ICT by admin
Taylor’s lawyers contended that the artwork ‘View of the Asylum and Chapel at Saint-Remy’, painted less than a year before van Gough’s suicide, did not pass through Nazi hands.
The two-time Oscar winner said that the nearly 15 million-dollar painting was purchased by a Jewish collector living in Argentina, who had escaped Nazi tyranny in 1933.
According to E!online, Taylor’s father bought the painting for her at a Sotheby’s auction in London in 1963.
In the suit filed in October 2004, the four relatives of Mauthner alleged that the actress and her father had been “negligent and careless” for not thoroughly investigating the painting’s provenance.
US District Judge Gary Kausner, however, ruled in 2005 that Mauthner’s descendants had waited too long to file suit and therefore had not stated a valid ownership claim. (ANI)
- $50m Van Gogh painting 'still missing' - Aug 22, 2010
- Hitler stole Beetle idea from Jewish engineer: Book - Jan 16, 2012
- Briton serving jail for biting wife, finds new fiancee - Jul 25, 2012
- Experts authenticate the Van Gogh Painting titled 'Le Blute-fin Mill' - Feb 26, 2010
- X-rays reveal why van Gogh paintings are losing their shine - Feb 15, 2011
- 'Aryan' Hitler had 'black and Jewish' ancestors: DNA research - Aug 24, 2010
- Hannema Wins On Vincent Van Gogh Painting - Feb 26, 2010
- Google launches virtual tour of world's finest museums - Feb 02, 2011
- Painting stolen by Nazis recovered, up for sale - Apr 20, 2012
- Mystery behind Vincent van Gogh's slashed ear solved? - Dec 27, 2009
- Van Gogh painting inspires Sheeran's new tattoo - Jul 28, 2012
- Courtney Love in legal trouble - Jun 27, 2012
- British man jailed for biting wife's nose - Mar 25, 2012
- Lohan in health scare - Jun 16, 2012
- Bloody letter that shows Van Gogh's turmoil set to go on display - Jan 17, 2010
Tags: ancestor, descendants, district judge, elizabeth taylor, jewish collector, judge gary, margarete, nazi germany, nazi tyranny, provenance, saint remy, sotheby, time oscar winner, two time, van gogh painting, van gough, waited too long