Ekta overwhelmed by response to ‘Kyaa Super Kool…’August 1st, 2012 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 1 (IANS) Film producer Ekta Kapoor says she is overwhelmed by the box office response to “Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum”.
The film, a sequel to the 2005 film “Kya Kool Hai Hum” and which opened last Friday, has already raked in over Rs.29 crore.
“We were told that since our brand was seven years old, we’ll have a Rs.10 crore opening. We had the highest opening during Ramzan. I’m totally overwhelmed,” Ekta said at a press conference Wednesday.
“When I started this film, I had a profit and loss sheet. The film had cost us Rs.13 crore and we thought it will make Rs.15 crore. We said if it crosses Rs.20, we’ll call it a hit and if crosses Rs.25 crore, it will be a super hit. Today on the fifth day, it has crossed Rs.29.5 crore,” she said.
On the negative response from critics on the film, Ekta said it was expected.
“Critics were so vocal about how much they hated the film. We’ll change next time,” she said.
Apologising to people who might have felt offended by the humour in the film, Ekta said the jokes were meant to make fun of films and not people.
“I never took off on any one person. The jokes were supposed to be on movies. I want to say sorry to everyone who thinks that they have been made fun of by us,” she said.
After her previous film, “The Dirty Picture”, was not telecast on prime time TV despite 59 cuts, Ekta has made sure this does not happen to “Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum”.
“We have worked on alternative scenes for television viewing of the film,” she said.
Ekta said she was scared of people comparing “Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum” with “Kyaa Kool Hain Hum”.
“Once you go wider with the budget and the name of the film, there are more view points. All sequels have a comparison issue. That is why I don’t do franchises on television,” she said.
Speaking more on television, she said that it was her “bread and butter” and she would dedicate the next six months only to TV.
- May do another sequel, says 'Kyaa Super Kool...' director - Aug 01, 2012
- 'Kya Super Kool...' earns Rs.7.12 crore on opening day - Jul 28, 2012
- Adult comedy or musical drama - what's your pick this Friday? (IANS Preview) - Jul 24, 2012
- 'Kyaa Super Kool...' not for high-brows, says Ekta - Jul 10, 2012
- Ekta to visit Fatehpur Sikri, pray for 'Kya Super...' success - Jun 30, 2012
- Riteish embarrassed of his act in 'Kya Super...' - Jul 02, 2012
- Now Tusshar's turn to flaunt six-pack - Mar 26, 2012
- Mouli, a shopaholic (TV Snippets) - Jul 03, 2012
- Ekta Kapoor again unhappy with censors - Jul 22, 2012
- Children should stay away from 'Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum' - Jun 27, 2012
- Audiences yet to trust my banner: Ekta Kapoor - Jul 26, 2012
- Tusshar's daring baring act (Movie Snippets) - May 17, 2012
- 'Dostana' act fetches 'Kyaa Super...' over Rs.20 crore - Jun 21, 2012
- 'Aalaap' director not scared of 'Kyaa Super Kool...' - Jul 24, 2012
- Ekta has Midas touch, says Sarah-Jane - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: box office, bread and butter, fifth day, film producer, films, franchises, humour, jokes, kyaa kool, last friday, mumbai, negative response, office response, prime time tv, profit and loss, ramzan, sequel, sequels, seven years, six months