Ekta Kapoor gives Milan Luthria an ultimatumMay 15th, 2008 - 11:41 am ICT by admin
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, May 15 (IANS) Milan Luthria, the director of “Kachche Dhaage” and “Taxi No. 9211″, has been given an unenviable task by his producer Ekta Kapoor. He has to make a gangster film with Sanjay Dutt, which would be completely different from anything done so far in Hindi films. Considering every director has done underworld cinema to death - from Mahesh Bhatt to Ram Gopal Varma - and considering Sanjay has played a gangster in so many prominent and inconspicuous films, Luthria is at his wit’s end as to how he should approach the age-old theme.
“I’ve been focusing on getting the writing right. It’s not easy to make a film that looks at the 1980s era and still manages to tell a powerful story,” Luthria told IANS.
Although the director is trying to get the basics right for the project, he is clear about the fact that he will focus on gangsterism in the 1980s.
“My film for Ekta will take a penetrating look at gangsterism in the 1980s. I’m quite enamoured by the period, quite taken up by the period and its flamboyance. There was a lot of action and inner life in some of the films during that period. I think the last film that looked at gangsterism from inside was Anurag Basu’s ‘Gangster - A Love Story’.”
He admits the challenge is to give it a fresh look.
“Earlier, when I was assisting Mahesh Bhatt, he did some interesting takes on gangsterism like ‘Saathi’ and ‘Sir’. The challenge is to have a fresh take at the whole era. I’ve to take the whole period into account and yet it can’t be a rambling look at the era. It has to have a strong story to tell. It has to be a clutter-breaking gangster film.”
- Luthria stresses upon use of 'tough dialogues' in script - Dec 19, 2011
- Movie Review: Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai(2010) - Jul 31, 2010
- Saif not playing superhero in my film: Luthria - Jun 20, 2012
- Lust is part of our lives: 'Dirty Picture' director (Interview) - Nov 26, 2011
- Mumbai underworld saga not biopic: Milan Luthria - Jun 18, 2010
- Inside track of actresses' lives - the fascination continues - Aug 18, 2012
- Sanajay Gupta moves on without Sanjay Dutt! - Mar 01, 2012
- Mahesh Bhatt compares 'Jism 2' to 'Last Tango In Paris' (Movie Snippets) - Jul 06, 2012
- Ekta describes 'Shootout at Wadala' as real - Mar 01, 2012
- Emraan ups his fees, says it won't burden filmmakers - Apr 12, 2012
- Bollywood careers to make or break this Friday (IANS Preview) - May 08, 2012
- Filmmakers line up biopics - with Bollywood twist (Feature) - Apr 30, 2012
- Once Upon A Time In Mumbai Celebrates 100 Days - Nov 06, 2010
- Bollywood goes back and forth in time (Feature) - May 05, 2012
- 'Dirty Picture' not a formal biopic - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: 1980s, cinema, clutter, flamboyance, fresh look, gangster a love story, gangster film, gangsterism, hindi films, last film, milan, mumbai, saathi, sanjay dutt, subhash k jha, taxi no 9211, ultimatum, underworld, wit