‘Ek’ is a raw action film like ‘Ghajini’, says SivanMarch 18th, 2009 - 12:11 pm ICT by IANS
By Joginder Tuteja
Mumbai, March 18 (IANS) Sangeeth Sivan says his “Ek - The Power of One”, starring Nana Patekar and Bobby Deol, is a raw action film like blockbuster “Ghajini” and he is confident it will do well. The film has Bobby jumping down 14 stories in a stunt scene.
“The biggest common factor between ‘Ek’ and ‘Ghajini’ is the raw action that fills the narrative,” Sivan told IANS.
“We have seen it working in a big way in ‘Ghajini’ where the audiences thoroughly enjoyed all the action happening on screen. If they loved it there, they will love it in ‘Ek’ as well, which again follows a similar raw action approach.” The film releases March 27.
Sivan isn’t new to the action genre. More than a decade ago, he had made the Sunny Deol starrer “Zor” . He moved to comedy with twin success of “Kya Kool Hain Hum”  and “Apna Sapna Money Money” .
He also insists that the out and out commercial appeal of the two films binds them together.
” ‘Ghajini’ is a hard core commercial film with all commercial ingredients in place and a great actor (Aamir Khan) leading it. ‘Ek’ too is on similar lines. It is an out and out commercial with great action and wonderful performances by the lead pair of Nana and Bobby,” says Sivan. He plans to work with Bobby again, along with Dharmendra, in a film titled “Cheers - Celebrate Life”.
With the “Ghajini” comparison coming in, isn’t he worried about the audience’s expectations? After all, the film has been the biggest money spinner of all times and anything else has to be exceptional to come close to it.
“I am talking about the film’s genre and treatment here,” says Sivan. “For me, in its true spirit, ‘Ek’ is best described as ‘Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge’ meeting ‘Die Hard’. So while the backdrop is that of ’sarson ke khet’ (mustard fields) in a Punjabi milieu, the action is stylized in a manner similar to that of ‘Die Hard’ with a raw power a la ‘Ghajini’.
“You will experience a lethal mix of romance along with adrenalin rush as the narrative unfolds.”
The film sees Bobby Deol doing all his action sequences, some of which required dare devil stunts. One sequence even required him to jump from 14 floors.
“I was worried about his safety but Bobby was convinced that he could do it,” remembers Sangeeth. “The sequence was shot in Kandivali where a political rally comprising 2,000 people was being taken out. For the scene Bobby was required to jump 14 stories but he didn’t hesitate even one bit and gave such an unbelievable shot for it.”
Starring Shreya Saran as the leading lady opposite Bobby Deol, “Ek” has music by Pritam.
With Sivan’s claim of “Ek” being as powerful as “Ghajini”, the film may just be worth a dekko at the theatres.
- "Why would I hide the source of 'Ek'" - Sangeeth Sivan - Mar 13, 2009
- 'Click' to unravel the past in photographs (IANS Preview) - Feb 15, 2010
- Bobby Deol to star in two Sangeeth Sivan films - Feb 21, 2010
- People will love Nana in the film: Bobby Deol - Mar 24, 2009
- I didn't mind playing hired killer for 'Ek': Bobby Deol - Mar 22, 2009
- Children should stay away from 'Kyaa Super Kool Hain Hum' - Jun 27, 2012
- 'Ek: The Power Of One' goes all wrong (IANS Film Review) - Mar 28, 2009
- Nana Patekar - Now in a dude American look - Mar 18, 2009
- Movie Review: Ek - The Power of One (2009) - Mar 27, 2009
- Nana infuses excitement in jaded 'Shagird' (IANS Movie Review) - May 13, 2011
- 20 Cuts For Sangeeth Sivan's Film - Sep 02, 2010
- Get set for comedy, thrillers in 2012 - Jan 01, 2012
- Sibling power rocks Bollywood (Aug 13 is Rakhi) - Aug 10, 2011
- Kareena working with Salman, training for Aamir - Jun 03, 2012
- Bobby shows his Professionalism. - Mar 16, 2009
Tags: aamir khan, action genre, apna, blockbuster, bobby deol, commercial appeal, dharmendra, ghajini, joginder, khet, kya kool, money 2005, money spinner, mustard fields, nana patekar, raw action, sangeeth, sunny deol, true spirit, two films