Editors Guild criticises Reservation Samithi for attack on ‘Andhra Jyoti’May 28th, 2008 - 6:31 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 28 (ANI): The Editors Guild of India has condemned an assault on the journalists of Andhra Jyoti newspaper by the activists of the Madiga Reservation Porata Samithi in Hyderabad, Warangal and Vishakapatnam on May 24.
This is a naked attack on the Freedom of the Press and intimidatory methods have been adopted to silence the voice of the editors and journalists of Andhra Jyothi, Guild said in a statement.
The form of protests, Samithi has launched against reporting of its activities by Andhra Jyothi is an affront to all democratic norms, the Guild held.
The Guild asked the Government of Andhra Pradesh to take action against those who stormed into the newspaper offices, poured petrol on staff members and tried to set them on fire on Monday. The actions of Samithi attract the provisions of the Penal Code, including attempt to murder.
Expressing its solidarity with Andhra Jyoti, the Guild called on the civil society and journalistic fraternity to support the newspaper against such attack. (ANI)
- Dalit group seeks action against Andhra home minister - Dec 24, 2011
- Attack on Andhra news channel condemned - Mar 24, 2010
- Shutdown by Dalit groups in Andhra - Jan 30, 2012
- Editors Guild condemns attack on Andhra Jyothi - Mar 24, 2010
- Praja Rajyam Party legislators protest baton charge on social activists in Hyderabad - Dec 06, 2010
- Telangana shutdown hits life in region (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Gadkari flags off Telangana yatra - Jan 19, 2012
- Telangana leaders heading for Singareni mines held - Oct 09, 2011
- TRS chief continues fast, life paralysed in Telangana region (Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
- Editors Guild condemns attacks on Mumbai media - Aug 12, 2012
- Chandrababu Naidu visits Warangal despite shutdown, protests (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Editors Guild condemns attack on TV channel office - Jul 17, 2010
- YSR Congress party, journalists protest CBI action - May 09, 2012
- No newspapers for Hyderabad as hawkers join Telangana stir - Sep 29, 2011
- Congress MP, hundreds attend Kishenji cremation - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: activists, affront, andhra jyothi, andhra jyoti, democratic norms, editors guild, fraternity, freedom of the press, government of andhra pradesh, journalists, may 24, New Delhi, newspaper offices, penal code, protests, provisions, solidarity, staff members, vishakapatnam, warangal