Eddie Redmayne Wins His First Tony AwardJune 14th, 2010 - 7:25 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
June 14, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Eddie Redmayne received his first Tony Award for his Broadway debut on Sunday.
The British actor was awarded the Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Play for his role in John Logan’s ‘Red’. He played the role of assistant to Mark Rothko.
The actor said that he was excited at being nominated and the win was a great honor. The ‘Red’ team also won the awards for lighting design, sound design and scenic design.
Eddie Redmayne debuted in 2002 at the Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in ‘Twelfth Night’. He also won the award for Outstanding Newcomer at the 50th Evening Standard Theater Awards in 2004 for his performance in Edward Albee’s ‘The Goat’ or ‘Who is Sylvia?’.
Another achievement by the young actor includes the award for Best Newcomer at the Critics’ Circle Theater Awards in 2005. He has also modeled for Burberry in 2008. Before ‘Red’ that started in March 2010, Eddie Redmayne was a part of ‘Now or Later’ by Christopher Shinn at the Royal Court Theater, London.
The show ran from the 3 September to 18 October 2008. ‘Red’ which fetched him the award has been running successfully for 15-weeks from March 11 and is reportedly ending on June 27 this year.
Another debutant who received an award at the Tony Awards night on Sunday was Scarlett Johansson for her performance in ‘View From The Bridge’.
On receiving the award, the 25 year old beauty revealed that ever since she was a little girl she wanted to be on Broadway and the honor means that finally she has made it.
- English Actors Win It Big At The Tony Awards - Jun 14, 2010
- "Memphis" Wins Four Gongs At The 64th Annual Tony Awards - Jun 14, 2010
- Jude Law returns to Broadway - Sep 06, 2011
- Zeta-Jones, Scarlett And Denzel Win Top Honors At The Tony Awards - Jun 16, 2010
- "Million Dollar Quartet" To Hit London's Noel Coward Theater - Nov 26, 2010
- The Tony Awards 2010 Nominations Are In And Listed Here! - May 04, 2010
- Is Carey Mulligan dating Eddie Redmayne? - Feb 01, 2011
- Christie Brinkley all set to make her Broadway debut - Feb 08, 2011
- Eddie Murphy honored with the 'Comedy Icon' award - Mar 22, 2011
- Taylor Swift dumped by boyfriend? - Feb 10, 2012
- Adele wants Christopher Bailey's designs - Sep 07, 2011
- Kathleen Turner Returning To Broadway With "High" - Jan 23, 2011
- Denzel Washington links atheists with sociopaths - Feb 15, 2012
- Cherry Jones Bags Emmy Award For "The Best Supporting Actress" - Sep 21, 2009
- Audience stages walk out over Royal Shakespeare Company's production - Sade - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: awards night, best newcomer, british actor, broadway debut, christopher shinn, eddie redmayne, edward albee, globe theatre, goat or who is sylvia, john logan, lighting design, mark rothko, meena, scarlett johansson, scenic design, theater awards, tony award, tony awards, view from the bridge, young actor