Eddie Murphy to host 84th Oscar ceremonySeptember 7th, 2011 - 1:49 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Sep 7 (IANS) Actor Eddie Murphy, popular for films like “Beverly Hills Cop” and the “The Nutty Professor”, will host the 84th Academy Awards ceremony at the Kodak Theatre in Beverly Hills Feb 26, 2012.
Telecast producers Brett Ratner and Don Mischer made the announcement through a statement on the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ official website.
This will be Murphy’s first stint as the host for Oscars, and he hopes to do a good job.
“I am enormously honoured to join the great list of past Academy Award hosts from Hope and Carson to Crystal, Martin and Goldberg, among others. I’m looking forward to working with Brett and Don on creating a show that is enjoyable for both the fans at home and for the audience at the Kodak Theatre as we all come together to celebrate and recognise the great film contributions and collaborations from the past year,” said Murphy.
The actor, who began his career at the age of 15 as a stand-up comedian, had earned an Oscar nomination in 2006 for his supporting role in “Dreamgirls”.
The show producers feel the movie enthusiast would add excitement to the show. Last year, Anne Hathaway and James Franco hosted the show.
“Eddie is a comedic genius, one of the greatest and most influential live performers ever. With his love of movies, history of crafting unforgettable characters and his iconic performances - especially on stage - I know he will bring excitement, spontaneity and tremendous heart to the show Don and I want to produce in February,” said Ratner.
Commented Mischer: “Eddie is a truly ground-breaking performer, whose amazingly diverse array of roles has won him a devoted audience of all ages. His quick wit and charisma will serve him very well as Oscar host.”
- Actor Eddie Murphy to host the 2012 Oscars - Sep 07, 2011
- Eddie Murphy steps down as Oscar host - Nov 10, 2011
- Eddie Murphy to host Oscars? - Sep 05, 2011
- I'll be the worst Oscar host: Murphy - Oct 25, 2011
- James Franco, Anne Hathaway to host 2011 Oscars - Nov 30, 2010
- Billy Crystal replaces Eddie Murphy as Oscar host - Nov 11, 2011
- Eddie Murphy to receive Comedy Icon honour - Mar 22, 2011
- Ben Stiller to get the BAFTA for comedy - Aug 24, 2011
- Brett Ratner quits as Oscar producer - Nov 09, 2011
- Oscar nomination ballots sent to nearly 6,000 voters - Dec 28, 2010
- David Letterman gets highest honour at US comedy awards - Mar 28, 2011
- Murphy plans 'Beverly Hills Cop' TV series - Oct 27, 2011
- Letterman receives excellence award - Mar 29, 2011
- Christopher Plummer wins best supporting actor - Feb 27, 2012
- Anne Hathaway And James Franco Named Hosts Of Next Year Academy Awards - Nov 30, 2010
Tags: academy award hosts, academy awards, academy awards ceremony, academy of motion picture arts and sciences, anne hathaway, beverly hills cop, brett ratner, comedic genius, crystal martin, don mischer, dreamgirls, eddie murphy, james franco, kodak theatre, motion picture arts, nutty professor, oscar ceremony, oscar nomination, spontaneity, stand up comedian