Eddie Murphy steps down as Oscar hostNovember 10th, 2011 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 10 (IANS) Actor Eddie Murphy, who was set to host the 84th Oscar awards ceremony at the Kodak Theatre in Beverly Hills Feb 26 next year, has stepped down as the host.
Murphy departed in support of Brett Ratner, his “Tower Heist” director, who resigned from the post of co-producer of the Oscars, reports contactmusic.com.
Ratner resigned Tuesday over a homophobic slur he used during a question-and-answer session with fans on Nov 4 and his friend Murphy stepped down as host Wednesday.
Movie mogul Brian Grazer will replace Ratner as the co-producer of the 84th annual Oscars but it still isn’t clear who will host the gala event.
Announcing this, Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences president Tom Sherak said: “Brian Grazer is a renowned filmmaker who over the past 25 years has produced a diverse and extraordinary body of work. He will certainly bring his tremendous talent, creativity and relationships to the Oscars.”
And Grazer said: “It’s very gratifying to be part of a show that honours excellence in the medium to which I have devoted so much of my career.”
- Eddie Murphy to host Oscars? - Sep 05, 2011
- Eddie Murphy to host 84th Oscar ceremony - Sep 07, 2011
- Actor Eddie Murphy to host the 2012 Oscars - Sep 07, 2011
- I'll be the worst Oscar host: Murphy - Oct 25, 2011
- Brett Ratner quits as Oscar producer - Nov 09, 2011
- Billy Crystal replaces Eddie Murphy as Oscar host - Nov 11, 2011
- Ben Stiller to get the BAFTA for comedy - Aug 24, 2011
- Eddie will be fantastic host: Hugh Jackman - Sep 27, 2011
- Jennifer Lawrence to announce Oscar nominations - Jan 11, 2012
- 'Tower Heist' - Entertaining thriller-comedy (IANS English Film Review) - Nov 05, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey not hosting Oscars 2012 - Jul 10, 2011
- Eddie Murphy to receive Comedy Icon honour - Mar 22, 2011
- Anil Ambani walks Oscar red carpet, his 'The Help' gets statuette (With Images) - Feb 27, 2012
- Academy 'agrees Franco, Hathaway were a poor choice to host Oscars' - Mar 05, 2011
- Anne Hathaway to announce Oscar nominations - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: academy of motion pictures, academy of motion pictures and sciences, answer session, awards ceremony, beverly hills, brett ratner, brian grazer, creativity, eddie murphy, filmmaker, gala event, heist, homophobic slur, kodak theatre, movie mogul, oscar awards, oscars, president tom, question and answer, tom sherak