Ecuadorian film wins two prizesMarch 11th, 2012 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Guadalajara (Mexico), March 11 (IANS/EFE) The Ecuadorian film “Pescador” (Fisherman) was awarded Saturday two silver Mayahuel Prizes for Best Actor and Best Director at the 27th Guadalajara International Film Festival.
Festival organizer Ivan Trujillo announced those top honors for the director of the 2011 film “Pescador”, Sebastian Cordero, and actor Andres Crespo.
The prizes were awarded at the closing ceremony after nine days of activities, during which 281 short subjects and feature films were shown and which was attended by 32 directors from Britain, the national guest of honor this year. A special tribute was paid to British director Mike Leigh.
The Argentine feature film “Abrir Puertas and Ventanas” (Open Doors and Windows) by Milagros Mumenthaler took the Best Ibero-American Film award, while the 2011 movie “Los Pasos Dobles” by Spain’s Isakei Lacuesta won the Special Jury Prize.
The Chilean Francisca Gavilan won the Mayahuel for Best Ibero-American Actress for her role as the famous folklorist Violeta Parra in “Violeta Se Fue a los Cielos” (Violeta Went to Heaven) in 2011.
The Chilean-Argentine production “Vivan las Antipodas” (Long Live the Antipodes) took the silver Mayahuel for Best Feature-Length Documentary, while the film “Mia” won the Maguey Prize for Best Film with Gay Content in the first awarding of this honor.
In the category of Mexican Movies, the Mexican-American film “Mariachi Gringo”, directed by Tom Gustafson, was honored for Best Film and Best Acting for the work of Martha Higareda.
- Chilean films win prizes at Sundance Film Festival - Jan 30, 2012
- `Bonsai' wins best film at Miami fest - Mar 12, 2012
- Actor Alberto de Mendoza is dead - Dec 13, 2011
- Seven Latin American films among Golden Globe award finalists - Dec 10, 2009
- Peruvian poet wins Chile's Neruda Prize - Jun 09, 2010
- Spain marks bicentennial of its first constitution - Mar 20, 2012
- Spanish film finalists for Oscars announced - Sep 16, 2009
- Science journalism pioneer dies - Aug 17, 2012
- 'The Tree of Life' wins 2011 Golden Palm at Cannes - May 23, 2011
- Mexican wrestler blocks film's release over nudity - Mar 31, 2011
- 'Inception' and 'The Social Network' dominate Critics Choice Awards - Jan 15, 2011
- 'The Social Network' named 'Best Picture Of 2010' - Dec 14, 2010
- Mexico sets record for largest folk dance performance - Sep 05, 2011
- Two awards for 'BA Pass' at Osian's film fest - Aug 05, 2012
- Tale of mother-son relationship adjudged best Manipuri film - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: american actress, british director, director mike leigh, doors and windows, feature films, feature length documentary, festival organizer, film award, folklorist, gay content, guadalajara mexico, international film festival, martha higareda, mexico march, mike leigh, open doors, pasos dobles, sebastian cordero, special jury prize, tom gustafson